Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So recently the car developed an intermitent missfire throwing code on cylender 1 ii changed coil pack changed plugs and it stayed the same now 2 months later the missfire is almost constant and dulls down between 2000 and 4000k rpms what could this be any advise is welcome thanks

·
Registered
2006 ZX5 2.0, 2004 ZX3 SVT EE. 2004 ZX3 SVT
2,633 Posts
So recently the car developed an intermitent missfire throwing code on cylender 1 ii changed coil pack changed plugs and it stayed the same now 2 months later the missfire is almost constant and dulls down between 2000 and 4000k rpms what could this be any advise is welcome thanks
Double or single overhead camshaft?

·
Registered
18,125 Posts
Some few zetec in there. Coilpack mentioned, duratec does not have them.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
My guess would be a bad valve cover gasket. Pull the coil packs and check for oil on them. The other possibility is a bad connector at the coil pack or a failing crankshaft position sensor and or connector, especially if it is a manual transmission. Pull the vacuum line to the fuel rail pressure sensor and check for fuel in the line.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Ok awesome thanks yes the valve cover gasket is bad so i will look into all these options
Soak up the oil with twisted paper towels before removing the spark plugs. Clean the cylinder head surface and the valve cover gasket surface with brake parts cleaner thoroughly. I like to put some gasket sealer on the valve cover first then stick the gasket in. Small amount is good. Good idea to add a little to the cylinder head around the spark plug areas.

·
Registered
18,125 Posts
A true coilpack is multiple coils (2, 3, or 4) in the same single assembly. You guys can miscall parts all you want. It's why I give you so much flak. The ones on OP car are separate COP coils as used in a DIS system. COP being coil on plug and DIS being distributorless ignition system. Ford techs and simple stupid parts people like me laugh at y'all calling them coilpacks. It's a question asked while taking the ASE test. And if buying parts you have already begun messing up to get the wrong part.

It wouldn't be the first time we got last minute '03 build cars listed as or called '04 here either, the '03 could be zetec or SPI engines which DO have coilpacks.

No wonder there are so many unnecessary problems. I just blew through at least 3 there that might be throwing you guys for loops. pbfoot knows it of course but he's just rolling with the lack-of-know-flow. Ask him if you don't believe me.

And 2 months misfiring? Pity that poor converter, another one getting changed years before it should have. Get ready for that P0420 code, it will be coming.

Reactions: pbfoot
1 - 12 of 12 Posts