Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mis shifted downshifting from 5th. I had meant to go into 4th but I ended up putting it into 2nd gear.. I was going about 80mph - redline in 2nd gear is like 71mph - had rev limiter raised to 7600 w/ Waynes tune.

Anyways.. when I did this, I immediately heard a bang / clunking sound, took it out of gear and let off the gas at the same time. I put it into 6th and babied it home but noticed that at 5000rpms coming off the highway it started backfiring and would not go above 5500rpms in any gear. I got home rolled the car around to check for anything leaking incase I put a whole in anything.. nothing leaking, no burning smells or anything.

So I turned it off...

I started it back up an hour or so later to go to work. It started up fine. And on the drive to work there was no backfiring at 5000rpm and it was not acting like there was a rev limiter at 5500rpm.

I'm still under Warrenty - 29k miles... also have the extended drivetrain warrenty too until 75k.

What did I do internally??? What could I have done??? What should I do?[paranoid]

·
Registered
523 Posts
I guessing you broke your rear motor mount. I would not worry about anything else unless it starts acting funny again.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Under certain conditions (and I'm pretty sure significant over-rev is one of them) the ECU will kick into a temporary limp mode. I dont know what it does precisely besides detune the hell out of the engine, I suppose the intention is to let the driver know something is wrong and try to limit possible damage. Hopefully somebody who knows more on the subject will chime in.

EDIT: 80mph in 2 should not be enough to hurt stock SVT internals, its been argued that the oil pump is the only thing holding a stock SVT back from 8k+ RPMs safely.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
PizZel said:
I guessing you broke your rear motor mount. I would not worry about anything else unless it starts acting funny again.
I replaced the tranny mount with the Vf engineering one.. hope I didn't break it!!! I havent' had it in very long!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi! I would highly doubt that you have caused internal damage because otherwise your car would not have started and driven like normal... I think that as was previously mentioned, you just went into a soft limp mode, and normally these don't necessarily turn on a check engine light

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
I wouldn't think that you damaged anything internal, as it would smell, leak, burn, have a hole...or any combination of those. I would agree that it went into a safe mode, and gettting it out of that mode should make it good again...

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
so i'm guessing that at normal conditions, the engine is in erect mode? [clap]

·
Registered
672 Posts
If there's nothing wrong, you're terribly lucky. At 80 in 2nd, you overrevved enough to wreck an engine, regardless of what the ECU does. For warranty purposes, the OBDII probably has a record of the revs. It would be interesting to see what it reads. Even if it didn't hurt the engine, If you bring a later problem to the dealer and they read the overrev number, could be a warranty problem. Get it cleared.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Looking at the math, 80mph would force approx. 8500rpm. That's a lot, granted, but there's at least 1 member on here running an 8k cutoff for the track, and he's seen that 8000rpm a number of times.

I'm gonna stick with my first guess, you'd probably know if something were really wrong. I would do a hard reset on the ECU, for safety sake.

EDIT: It comes out to almost exactly 8410rpm, for the sake of precision, to travel exactly 80mph at stock tire height. Take into account the +2mph offset on the stock speedo, making your real speed ~78mph, and its more like 8200.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I agree... you should get your codes cleared so you dont have any issues later on.

·
Broken cars s[:)][:)][:)] :(
18,832 Posts
yah I doubt you broke anything either...and I HIGHLY doubt the rear motor mount broke...it prolly poped cause the engine shot back forward so quick for puttin it in safe mode. Your cool, I had it happen to me also and mine is cool :D That happened a few thousand miles ago when my friend drove the car.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I checked for codes using my xcal2... I only had one.. a p1000... There has been no check engine lights so... Hopefully all is well..

·
Registered
9,476 Posts
I had done the same thing with about 3,000 mi on the car.....70 into 2nd from 5th...my car revved up to 7,300RPM QUICK, shut off, and went into neutral.I rolled to a stop, checked it out, and I BABIED it home. nothing ever went wrong .......

someone was behind me and they said I shot a bunch of black smoke out the exhaust. My guess was unburnt fuel.

I say you should be okay. I was. scared the SHIT outta me though.....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts