Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife's '08 has a bad "bucking " miss in it at between 42 and 46 mph. It
doesn't do it all the time and, at first, I thought maybe the OD was kicking in and out since it does engage/disengage at about that speed. The dealer hooked up the laptop to it and said that when it "bucks" like that, the voltage on #1 cyl. drops to 50% and the other three drop to 75%. It seems to baffle them and they want it all day tomorrow to track it down and even said they might have to contact Ford's Tech Hotline. I can't think of anything that would cause this except, possibly, the ECU being faulty. Do you guys have any ideas? As usual, thanks for your input!

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Bad coil pack I'd guess. Maybe something is heating too much, expanding and grounding out. Most likely they will throw new packs at it and see how it reacts, on their dime. But I'd lay odd's on it being a grounding problem somewhere.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
iminhell,
The Techs said that they suspected a bad COP but, when they got voltage drops on the other three too, and different drops, they were a little buffaloed. I suspect you're correct about what they'll do though. I like your faulty ground idea! Oh well, tomorrow will tell (I hope)!
Thanks!

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
LATEST UPDATE
The dealer had the car for three days and even called in a Field Engineer. He said that he had seen this same problem on several other automatics. It's, supposedly, the OD at 44 mph kicking in and out-as if it doesn't know which to do. He also asked the Service Writer to tell me and anyone else with this problem to contact Parts and Service and raise hell about it. He said that, as of now, there is no SPR or recall and, contacting P&S
might get something done about it. He had the Service Writer tell me this because he said he would get in trouble if he had told me. I plan to shoot off a nasty e-mail tonight.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Working as a Tech for 17 years, this always bugged me. I can't tell you how often this happened. A customer brought their brand new car in with a real problem, only to have to tell them that yes there is a problem, but there is not a fix for it. 9 time out of 10, within a year there will be some sort of software update to cure the problem. But there has to be enough people that complain about this one issue for the manufacture to do something about it. It's just not right.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I agree. we've had a few cars come in our shop that had recalls and sent I've calle dthe dealership myslef for the customer and stated what the problem was and would it be covered, I had one focus they would cover the fuel pump problem and another they said the recall didn't pertain to. I thought it was weird how some cars they will cover on a recall and some they won't even when they're the same excat year and model.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts