Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since purchasing my 1999 1.4 Focus 8 months ago I've had plugs and leads changed twice and a new clutch fitted.

For some reason she insists on misfiring and kangaroo-ing and only really seems happy at 3000rpm in 4th. When idling at lights the rev counter surges up and down between 500-1000rpm and has been known to shoot up to 2000 when my foot is nowhere near the throttle. Recently, on start up before ignition, the needles on the dash fly around willy nilly - crazy car.

To top it off there is a constant hissing sound coming from the engine!

She's booked in for a check up on wednesday and I'd like to sound slightly knowledgable before I get (understandably) mistaken for a complete autophobe and get ripped off!

Nearly forgot - I've been told it could be the coil pack.

Any ideas? Please?? [idea]

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
It could be the wires coming into the coil pack causing bad spark.

Where is the hissing sound coming form? That sounds like a vacuum leak.

·
Token Engin-nerd
3,414 Posts
Clean the Mass Air Flow sensor with an approved cleaner. CRC MAF Cleaner or CRC Electronic Parts cleaner will work. But I dont know if parts stores stock those over there.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Chk the ground connection under the airfilterbox, clean for rust and reconnect, also have the alternator and battery checked, the needles going haywire indicates that the ECU has had a loss of voltage.. This condition will not help your idle... Also chk the PCV valve and hose from this to airfilter. And finally the coil is known to go bad as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One new breather pipe and 4 new leads later and it all seems to be fine - only the 1st day though so we'll see!

Breather pipe had 1 huge dent in it where it collapsed and a 2inch long split!!

Thanks for all the advice - may be back for more when she falls poorly again!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts