Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
on thin air
3,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little while back I posted up about some issues I was having with the whip, and I still have come to no resolution.....finally broke down and took it to the dealer, only to have them tell me to try to replace the coil pack.

The symptoms: began as a miss down low, below 3k under load, with the occassional backfire. Now it is worse and the engine has taken to getting hotter than normal on warmer days in stop an go traffic. (turn heater on and it goes right down)...checked fan, it is kicking on and off just fine.

When it first started happening, it wasnt backfiring or getting hot, and I thought it could have been fuel related or spark...so I:

Changed plugs (we'll come back to this one), swapped wires back to stock, changed fuel filter, PCV valve, injector cleaner, cleaned MAF and checked all connections for leaks...also checked the wiring harness on the coilpack.
No CEL, no DTCs

Once it started backfiring, I knew it most likely wasnt a fuel issue...but before I spent a ton of money guessing, I took it to the dealer. They stole my iPod and recommended that I swap out the coil. In the process, they claimed to have checked the plugs and regapped a few. No resolution.

Engine starts running hot....I took it to another dealer this morning and they call me to tell me that the plugs were black up the side and were arcing really bad. They want to replace them and possibly the wires now.

What kills me is that the other dealer stated that they pulled the plugs and regapped them...dont you think they would have noticed the fouled plug?!

Regardless, I dont have money to keep playing their guessing games. I am having the plugs replaced back to Motorcraft Plats and hopefully this will help...also going to order some new Ford Racing wires.

Still leaves me wondering about the engine temp issue, though. Could it just be that the engine was missing and working so hard that it just caused it to run hotter than usual?

Any input any of you may have would be greatly appreciated.

·
( o Y o )
5,549 Posts
did you check the thermostat itself? that itself could be causing the engine to get alittle warm, or a sensor somewhere inbetween.

·
on thin air
3,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thermostat has yet to be done, and is on the list for an upgrade to a 170degree. I am thinking that the overheating issue is directly related to the original problem...so i am focusing on getting that misfire fixed.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I was having the same issues. Be careful, mine resulted in the piston melting. If you have an aftermarket tune, I would recommend going back to stock. Mine actually went out twice the second time, really fast, I think the tune accelerated it. I believe mine was caused by an injector.

·
on thin air
3,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
got my misfire fixed...turns out the car didnt like my choice in plugs when I replaced them while trying to fix the problem....right part, just used a brand the car didnt like.

The engine hasnt overheated lately, but I have my eye out for it anyways. Fans are kicking on and everything seems in order...I may just upgrade the thermostat to a 170 anyways. Its cheap and my car is due for a coolant flush anyways.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts