Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2003 SVT focus, 105,000 miles.

I was driving yesterday while at about 2500 rpm in second I heard a pop and the motor started to idle roughly. took the car home and looked into the possible cause. It was more of an electrical pop noise then mechanical so im leaning towards electrical.

I started the car today and removed the wires one by one from the coil pack and got them close enough to catch the spark and still fire to visible see the spark and hear a difference in the motor. well 1, 2, 3 are all fine and dramatically increase the idle roughness when fully removed and have a spark 100%. number 4 cylinder does nothing to the idle and could not get a spark from the coil pack to wire. would this be my safest bet to replace the coil pack and make the assumption this was the problem.

I currently have nothing done to the car completely stock never any issues besides clutch yet, thankfully.

thanks for all the help in advance...

[:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]UPDATE[:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]
to be sure this was the case i removed the number two wire from coil and it got worse placed the number 4 which had no spark close to the number 2 coil and it went back to only one missing i think i lucked out after reading storied about compression going out in a single cylinder and this happening. going to get coil pack in ten mins will update...

·
Registered
228 Posts
I have 2003 SVT focus, 105,000 miles.

I was driving yesterday while at about 2500 rpm in second I heard a pop and the motor started to idle roughly. took the car home and looked into the possible cause. It was more of an electrical pop noise then mechanical so im leaning towards electrical.

I started the car today and removed the wires one by one from the coil pack and got them close enough to catch the spark and still fire to visible see the spark and hear a difference in the motor. well 1, 2, 3 are all fine and dramatically increase the idle roughness when fully removed and have a spark 100%. number 4 cylinder does nothing to the idle and could not get a spark from the coil pack to wire. would this be my safest bet to replace the coil pack and make the assumption this was the problem.

I currently have nothing done to the car completely stock never any issues besides clutch yet, thankfully.

thanks for all the help in advance...

[:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]UPDATE[:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]
to be sure this was the case i removed the number two wire from coil and it got worse placed the number 4 which had no spark close to the number 2 coil and it went back to only one missing i think i lucked out after reading storied about compression going out in a single cylinder and this happening. going to get coil pack in ten mins will update...
I could not understand your "update" so I can't give you any advice on the problem, however I will remind you that if you have the original timing belt in your Motor you better change it quick!

*I think the compression issue is mostly on the SPI Motors!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts