Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at the track last night and did some runs, the first one was so horrible i had no idea what was going on. So i plugged the diablo in and did a scan while running, after the run, same thing horrible power. It said i had misfiring detected on cyl. 3? When i would get into high rpm's my engine light was flashing? not a steady light like it always is with the orp, but it was blinking. I have no idea where to start with this.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Blinking light is bad, that's all I know. Steady light is only when it is emission related (usually no drivability issues). I hope someone more knowledgeable chimes in. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Blinking means it has detected misfire. If it stays on, the misfire is worse.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the blinking light didn't stay blinking after i brought the rpm's down at the end of the track. So how bad is this? because i ran it 3 time's like this.

Actually how do i go about fixing this? because my car performs like poop.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
mine did that to come to find out it was the battery cable that was lose

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
how can i identify cyl. 3 when looking at the motor, does it go from left to right?

·
Registered
511 Posts
left to right when looking at it from the front. The plug wires should also have numbers on them.

·
Banned
7,946 Posts
you have a 5yr 100,000 mile warranty on your powertrain. let the dealer take care of it. many motors have been replaced due to the #3cyl.

·
Registered
524 Posts
scrammer said:
you have a 5yr 100,000 mile warranty on your powertrain. let the dealer take care of it. many motors have been replaced due to the #3cyl.
I think the Powerworks Supercharger in his sig may be an issue with the dealer on this one...

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
First thing to check when a misfure occurs is usually the wires and plugs. If those are real good then I would check to see if your getting fire out of number 3 on your coil pack.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
5/100 doesn't cover electrical

·
Registered
456 Posts
What plugs did you put in?

Take them out and carefully inspect them ... all over, but especially the porcelain. It is VERY easy to crack the plugs during installation.

·
Registered
524 Posts
pspringe said:
5/100 doesn't cover electrical
Well, I don't think it's the electrical aspect of it - they're just going to say that they didn't ship this engine with FI, and it's seeing way higher cyl. pressures than it should, and that affects spark and is causing the misfire. Then, the owner comes back and says they gapped the plugs closer to compensate, and Ford says yeah - off spec and besides, he's now using the wrong plugs for the car...etc. Not a good conversation or scenario to get something covered under warranty.

I would tend to go with the damaged plug theory - but that must be checked before saying one way or the other.

·
Cashed in my chips
2,837 Posts
The blinking light means the misfire is currently occuring.

The steady on light means fault codes have been stored in the ecu.

Misfire can be (in order of likelihood)

1. Spark plugs
2. Plug wires
3. Coils
4. Plugged/fouled/bad fuel injector
5. loss of compression in the cylinder

·
Banned
7,946 Posts
Fordson said:
I think the Powerworks Supercharger in his sig may be an issue with the dealer on this one...
oohhh, didnt see that one. sorry pal. i would yank that baby off and go get myself a new motor![thumb]

·
Banned
7,946 Posts
Anaxagoras1986 said:
Seems like things like to get repeated alot here! haha

its a speradic, but almost common thing with the SVT's it sux, but when i bought mine used, it only had 813 miles on the motor.[:)]

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
did you have the car Dyno-tuned, or are you just running the 'base tune' they send you?

#3 is the most common piston to melt... hope you weren't impatient and beating on the car before dyno-tuning

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
no i havent had it dyno tuned, i want to see tom next week for that though. If i melted piston 3 how hard is it to replace, time wise, and cost? ill just have them all replaced.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts