Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, new guy here and to Ford. Question I just notice that my parent's Focus hatchback (SE Sport BTW) spoiler is misaligned. Is that the spoiler or the tailgate itself not lining up correctly? The tailgate is is like 1/8 over to the right a bit, can't notice it unless you look at it with your face like 4 inches a way. However the spoiler on the left is a drop of 1/4 in height from the roof line. The right side is fine though. :/

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Sounds like it was installed incorrectly. Have them get that fixed at the dealership, no reason for a brand new car to have issues like that.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My mom took the car in and had it fix today at the body shop. She said it took about half an hour. Yay no more unsightly gaps! BTW I checked out other hatchbacks on sale and others on the streets and it appears to be a common problem :S

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Yeah, a lot of people have complained about panel misalignment... it's easily fixed normally but something that was overlooked probably in an attempt to produce more cars faster.

·
Registered
51 Posts
My Ti has this issue too. I've come to realize that this is common and I think goes largely unnoticed. In fact, when my fiance pointed out the misalignment, my salesman checked his car and noticed the same thing. He hadn't seen it before.

·
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #17
4,888 Posts
Working at a Ford dealership, I've seen plenty of '12 Focuses and I remember one in particular where the entire hatch was off-center. Barely no panel gap on the driver's side and one large enough for my hand on the passenger side. Panel alignment will just be one thing to carefully check with these cars, it looks like.

·
Registered
109 Posts
My hatch door is misaligned, with a bigger gap on the right side versus the left. I must have had cross-eyed Mary do my install too [wiggle].

I did take it to my dealer's body shop to see what they could do, but they basically weaseled their way out of doing anything, saying there's nothing to adjust due to the way the latches are designed...maybe I need to find another dealer body shop.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Mine might be slightly off, but nowhere near as bad as trombo. I actually think mine is fine, but all of you are making me think its not :-/

·
Registered
11 Posts
Mine looks similar - spoiler really "pushed in" on top left, gap between glass and edge is bigger on the left side than the right side, and the seam by the highest part of the tail lights on the right side is even but on the left side the front part buldges up above the rear part.

Really really obvious when standing behind the car looking at it. Looks pretty goofy. Dealer told me some of this type of stuff is unavoidable on a "production" car. It's hard to see how it could be missed at the factory, just looking at it jumps right out at you, its way off.

But my dealer is taking it Friday to see if they can fix it up a bit. I certainly have never had such obvious variances on any other cars I've owned.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts