Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like the stupid gadgets. I want to get a rearview mirror with the temp gauge, and maybe the compass on it, has anyone tried to install one onto the svt?
if so, what car did you take it from?

Thanks in advance
-Ricky-

·
Premium Member
4,656 Posts
I like the stupid gadgets. I want to get a rearview mirror with the temp gauge, and maybe the compass on it, has anyone tried to install one onto the svt?
if so, what car did you take it from?

Thanks in advance
-Ricky-
i have one im waiting to install. im not sure what car its from but its a , Gentex, mirror. ill see if it has a model/part number on it.

it has temp/compass/ and auto dim

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Then I will be following with a mirror shortly. How are these mirrors powered usually? is it just a line to anywhere that can support it(12v), or just battery powered?

·
Premium Member
4,656 Posts
i know it has to be wired to a "hot" power source and a negative. and the temp is a probe you have to run through the firewall and i believe by the grill.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im going to google this to death tonight, hopefully I find some good stuff

·
Taciturn. Your turn.
2,210 Posts
I put a Gentex-177 with the dual display in my car. Here are the directions I cobbled together from different places.

If you do choose to get a mirror with the Temperature display that isn't in a kit, you will need the sensor from either GM or Ford (they work exactly the same!).
GM Part number is 15047946 for the sensor and 12101856 for the sensor harness (you need both! dunno what the Ford #s are)
------------------------------------------------------------------------
7-pin: (*required connection; **required if you have a temp display)

* PIN 1 = PINK = POWER = +12 volts*
* PIN 2 = BLACK = CHASSIS, GROUND*
* PIN 3 = LIGHT GREEN = BACKUP LIGHTS* gn/ye wire
* PIN 4 = GRAY = TO AUTO DIM OUTSIDE MIRROR
* PIN 5 = PINK = TO AUTO DIM OUTSIDE MIRROR
* PIN 6 = DARK GREEN/WHITE = TEMP SENSOR**
* PIN 7 = BLACK/WHITE = TEMP SENSOR**
=====================================================================================
The preferred location for the temperature probe is in the center of the grille or
some place where it will be in free air in front, or to the side, of the radiator.
Down near the bumper may also be used. Avoid locating it inside or in front of the
wheel well, engine compartment, or too close to the headlamps. Try to locate the
probe no higher than the center of radiator, and no lower than 8” above the
pavement. Always try to keep the temperature probe in the center of the vehicle;
never locate it outside of the frame rails.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you push either button, the whole display will shut off.

If you hold the temp button for 3 seconds, it will let you choose °C or °F. If you hold it for 15 seconds, it will disable/enable the auto dimming.

If you hold the comp button for 3 seconds, it will let you choose the the zone variation. If you hold it for 6 seconds, it will let you calibrate it. To calibrate, drive in at least 3 complete circles allowing 45 seconds per circle.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
awesome, thanks!!
now for the real question, this one or this one?

and are the mounts on the windshield all the same? because I like the subaru one, especially since it shows both on one panel, just like your 177

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My bad
I changed it, its now the second one

·
Taciturn. Your turn.
2,210 Posts
That looks like the 177. It looks like they don't include the temp sender, maybe contact them and see if they will throw it in.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
then Im buying this thing, how much did you spend on yours?
is the wiring fairly simple?
do you just bring it up into the cavaty where the sunroof controls are?
(for the most part, I know you need the temp sensor, but as for the ground and 12v)

·
Taciturn. Your turn.
2,210 Posts
I dont remember, that one is a little less than what I paid.

I got the switched 12V from the sunroof power wire and I grounded it to a screw that holds the dome light frame.

The backup light wire disables the autodim feature when you put it in reverse so you can see whats in the mirror. You don't have to hook it up, but I did anyway.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I probably wont wire it, but maybe I still will
Im a stickler for having things work properly.
looking around, some of those mirrors get expensive
Thanks so much so far.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts