Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I just joined looking for help to reattach my drivers side mirror. It's still on, and still works, but got knocked loose when I was backing into a narrow driveway. It looks like it's hanging on, but is obviously loosened. It really bugs me. I'm afraid it will fall off while I'm driving. My Focus is a 2007 White hatchback SES. Is it possible for me to tighten it back on? Nothing looks broken, the whole fixture is just partially popped out.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Moved to General Tech Chat

Welcome to FF

·
Registered
473 Posts
Hi, I just joined looking for help to reattach my drivers side mirror. It's still on, and still works, but got knocked loose when I was backing into a narrow driveway. It looks like it's hanging on, but is obviously loosened. It really bugs me. I'm afraid it will fall off while I'm driving. My Focus is a 2007 White hatchback SES. Is it possible for me to tighten it back on? Nothing looks broken, the whole fixture is just partially popped out.
It's just a 10mm gold bolt. Remove plastic piece use flat head n pry carefully but with force outward. Then remove foam n bolt should be visable. Also think there is another screw besides 10mm.

·
Meh.
10,609 Posts
^^This is good place to start but most likely wont fix your issue. More than likely the mirror housing has broken somewhere inside.

I had one of my mirror break in what sounds like a similar way. The mirrors are basically two pieces (one being the part you see and the other being the structural frame that actually holds it to the car) that are glued or plastic welded together. After mine got hit, the welds broke inside and partially dislodge main part of the mirror from the inner frame. All it required to repair was some glue and it's held up ever since. You will need to remove the mirror from the car to do this repair, however, but everything should be visible and easy to repair if the damage isn't overly extensive.

·
Registered
17,173 Posts
If mirror glass itself to the case then it just snaps back in. If case to car door then the bolts have probably sheared the thread inside the holes-plastic thread. You won't be fixing that, new mirror time unless you can find slightly bigger bolt to cut new deeper threads.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your info!

It's looking more like I will have to replace the whole mirror unit. I had the car in today for an oil change and when I asked the guy about it he thought that a bolt inside had been broken. One of your replies mentions that. Another alternative is Duck tape, but I hate that look--like a poor person's car, you know? (But I am a Poor Person) If I have mirror replaced I'll follow advice to order unit from Ebay.

·
Meh.
10,609 Posts
They make colored duct tape. [hihi]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts