Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Usually I would just google the crap out of this but I'm just getting tons of stuff on transmission issues or major engine problems, which I don't believe I have.

Car has 100,000+ miles on it, just about to pay it off as well. :D I drive a lot.

Symptoms: 4th gear, coasting, 35 MPH the car will have little hiccups about every 30 seconds or so. Like a 20 RPM drop, very slight. Disappears under moderate power. Happens in all gears when coasting but more so in 4th around 30 to 40 MPH. Has happened for about the last 30,000 miles but has gotten ever so slightly worse over time. It's worse when the AC is on while coasting.

Also, I have a VERY slight whine that matches engine RPM. Can't hear it in neutral, car has to be under load and accelerating. Worse in winter (Maine gets cold). This has been there for almost 50,000 miles. This is what lead me to believe it was a vacuum leak.

Again, these are VERY slight and only noticeable if you've had the car since birth and can tell that it has changed. I thought it might be a vacuum leak but spraying down every vacuum hose I could with with carb cleaner while running (cold obviously) had no affect. Replaced my valve cover gasket as well for a pinhole leak with no effect.

Car has been babied with almost 90% easy freeway driving. Wondering where I should start poking at next to try to fix this minor annoyance.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks zetec.

Anyone think this might be PCV valve or intake manifold gasket (since I have to replace one to get at the PCV valve)?

I'm also due for a manual transmission fluid change. Not sure if this will have any effect but it might.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
You don't have to replace the intake gasket if you remove the manifold if you're trying to get to the PCV valve. And it wouldn't be either of those if it's a whine or a "hiccup" as you put it.

Whine usually comes from rotating parts or pumps. If you're already at a 100k+ miles, you should not only change the trans fluid (PLEASE only use the Ford full synthetic fluid, yes it costs a bit, but it is the BEST fluid for our cars), drain the coolant and replace the water pump and put fresh coolant in (replace the belt while you're there), and replace the spark plugs (gapped to .049 to .053 inches)

If the whine persists after that, check to see if it gets louder when you turn the wheel. All the Fords I've driven have whiney power steering pumps, but the whine is normal to a point.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Plugs were replaced recently with the proper gap. Mileage improved by about 1-2 MPG and the old plugs were in great shape.

Yes, definitely only going with Ford full synthetic. I was happy to see the 2010 focus doesn't need that stupid 0.1 quart that the earlier models needed.

Hmmmm, pump and belt you say? I'll have to look into that, if it's easy enough I might do that but neither is giving me any trouble that I can tell right now.

It doesn't sound like a steering wheel pump (I've heard those fail before) and doesn't get louder when I turn. It's definitely tied to the RPMs though.

A whine might be a bad term for it, think of it more like a whistling sound.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I think whistling is usually related to belts and pulleys.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts