Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The other day as I was pulling out of a friends driveway, I went to swing my car to turn without realizing there was a ~1 foot stone wall a few inches to my right. [mecry]

The bumper on passenger side has separated along the side leaving almost an inch gap. It is no longer connected inside the wheel well where the plastic grommets used to be and the splash guard is cracked. The bumper must have been pulled by the wall a bit, it's badly scratched underneath.

Where can I start if I want to fix this myself? Or an idea of how much it would cost at a garage?

EDIT: Here are some photos, I had to take them with my phone sorry for the crappy quality...

·
Registered
621 Posts
If you can post some pictures up I can gladly help![welcome]

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Unless you want to spend a grand or so, OR if you have a low deductible & don't care about your rates going up.... THIS is a case where a "quick fix" in the driveway will probably make you happier....

To "fix it" as well as is reasonable, you need to unscrew everything connected to let it go back where it belongs, repair what's necessary to keep it in place, THEN smooth out with sandpaper & repaint with a "rattle can" to make it look decent.

Honestly, Unless you've got "Bucks" to spare, spending a couple grand for an "oops" isn't in MOST of our budgets....

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
most of the scuffs look white means in the clear so you can probably get most out with a good compound.

i would un mount the bumper, buff/polish the area at the bottom to see how it looks, if you can live with it put it back on, the cracked fender liner i would just scuff the back and put some epoxy on it.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
All you need to do is pull the bumper out then slide it back into its grooves. This happened to my 08, not quite the same circumstances but hey. As for the scratches, just get some compound and go to work. I bet you can make it look pretty good again.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Yup - It's better than spending for "all new" just for some scrapes...

·
Registered
302 Posts
If you are like me you have a NO DEDUCTABLE collision damage repair on your insurance. Its wonderful having this coverage as you just take the car to your dealership body shop and tell them please replace EVERYTHING with NEW parts and NEW paint. When you get your car back you cant even tell that anything ever happened!. No deductible insurance is a WONDERFULL thing when you need it. A dealership could fix your car back to brand new condition within 48 hours and they will also give you a free loaner car to use. BUY good insurance its worth every dime!

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
dude what insurance do you have if you dont mind me asking? if i did no deductible my rates would be sky high.

·
Registered
302 Posts
dude what insurance do you have if you don't mind me asking? if i did no deductible my rates would be sky high.
State Farm my full coverage no deductible insurance cost me $336.00 for 6 months worth of coverage.

·
Registered
302 Posts
wow wish i could find insurance that cheap in nj. my insurance is still going down cause i'm only 23
I am 56 maybe that's why I get it so cheap?

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I think so. I am 20.

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
i think so too. i pay double that for 6 mo with a $500 deducible with a clean record. maybe its time to shop around again. was paying more before i switched last year.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts