Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 2003 ford focus just under 100k on it and it is a manual transmission. the problem i am currently having is that when i am in nuetral at a stop light the car idles and then dies. i am looking for a good starting point so i dont jump off the deep end expense wise first. My guess is the fuel system and i was going to be starting with the fuel filter

recent work done on the car
tensioner pulley replacement
ac clutch replacement
altenator replacement
thermostat housing replacement
O2 sensor replacement

2.0L 4 cylinder ztec

any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
521 Posts
Fuel filter might clear that up for you, especially if it's never been changed. I don't know the symptoms of a cracked PCV hose very well, but that might also be a possibility for the age of the car.

Toby

·
Registered
17,490 Posts
If it also idle a little lumpy like uneven then check out the rear pcv hose where it attaches to back lower intake manifold. They commoinly suck a hole to leak there and does that. Clean the throttle body as well, that helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Replaced the fuel filter and still the problem remains. There also does not appear to be any holes in the pcv hose. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
658 Posts
CEL on? Checked for codes? Does it run rough any other time, or only in a situation like that?

·
Registered
753 Posts
Does it start shaking then die or does it reach a low idle and kill over?
Just cause the CEL isn't on, doesn't mean there isn't a code pending. Get a reader and look.
Being that you're new here I am not suggesting you don't know where the PCV hose is but you never know.

·
Registered
17,490 Posts
'There also does not appear to be any holes in the pcv hose.'

Not good enough, you must positively 100% know or end up chasing yourself. The hose commonly bubblegums up to suck and reseal the leak.

TPS bad can do it too. PCV hose will idle bad before the die, TPS often idles clean for a second then dies. If you can artificially hold throttle slightly on and it runs correct at that time then TPS.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Being a zetec, there are THREE PCV hoses only two of which apply to this.

Valve cover to intake won't cause the problem.

Intake to pipe under thermostat & that pipe to the PCV at the front of the engine block are the important ones.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts