Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my car since like august 31st, i have almost 10,000 mileson it, and i have lost good gas millage, i used to get 350 miles plus per tank, now im getting 250-300. what is this gayness, i have no dash lights on and it seem sthe better i drive the worst it gets. my dad thinks becaus ei used to off road my focus (HE HE) the air filter is all messed up. can this be true, i read the manual and it said it dosent need service,

DANNY

WHAT CAN I DO

·
Registered
845 Posts
are you serious??

go buy a new filter....preferably a washable one....(try K&N panel filter (factory replacement) and get a "recharge kit" to clean it every once and a while...espcially if you off-road)

that's your cheapest route (other than a paper factory replacement filter), or you could buy a new intake with a new filter included for much more $$$

try.....
www.newedgeperformance.com

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How much are we looking at, and were is the airfilter located? its the box closest to the front left headlamp if you were sitting in the car right, because i took bothe screws out an dthey were rusted and i couldnt open it?

Oh im also dumb!

·
Registered
793 Posts
350 per tank? How the heck is that possible, my all time best gas mileage has been 260 and thats with new air filter, shell gas, driving normal, and clean fuel system. Im lucky to gewt 230 these days, focus gas mileage blows

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what if i was getting 260 at best i would have kept my truck i got it for the gas and its great till now, oh and i stopped off roading!

·
Hawaii Five-O
1,257 Posts

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok cool, but i want to pick it up at like a auto zone or something will they have it? and i need to know were it goes im a goober and stupid........Thanks guys for the help!

·
Hawaii Five-O
1,257 Posts
Just call your local auto zone and see....if they do, then chances are, they'll be able to help you install it.

·
Hawaii Five-O
1,257 Posts
How much off-roading do you do, and what type of terrain do you live near? Mountains, dirt roads, and other such areas tend to work the motor more, using more gas....especially uphill. You said the screws were rusted....in a 2003....sounds like you have been really abusing the car in deep water for the screws in the air filter box to be rusted....Is there anyway you can post a picture of your engine compartment, and naturally I'd go to the dealer....you still have the warranty. Whether this scenario applys to that is really the question. [confused]

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
im at school i can post a pic later and a pic of the screws, i used to off road in mud like when it rains, only in the rain, i stopped because i spun into a trailer, so i have some dammage on my passenger side fenders and top of bumper also had to buy a new rim. when i get home i will post the pics on this tread

·
Registered
845 Posts
to me, it seems the air filter will solve your issue. The stock filter isn't made for rally races, so the extra dust really clogs it up fast. If you still have low gas mileage, you may have gotten your MAF sensor dirty and are getting false readings (in that case, you'll probably get an engine warning light when you change your filter, but more than likely this won't happen).

autozone installs everything that they sell (so they say). If you buy their air filter (probably $5 or less), they'll install it if you want them to. Ford will too, but they probably charge more for the filter than autozone or advanced or pepboyz or o'reileys or (insert parts store here)

edit:::if you go to the dealer for a new filter, don't tell them you go crazy off-roading with your car...just say something like "I guess my gramp's dirt driveway is dustier than it looks" or something. Or just tell them nothing except "I'd like an air filter replacement" and they'll handle it...they'll ask about the mud in your airbox though...trust me. You should really consider that K&N panel filter if you play in the dirt a lot.

I'm so happy to hear someone say they go off-road in their focus! With this stock suspension height and light weight body plus the 4-cyl torque monster under the hood, you'd think more people would enjoy the mud!

·
Hawaii Five-O
1,257 Posts
Are you sure it's just cosmetic damage? It's possible you may have ruined something without knowing it, and it finally picks now to surface. Hope it's just the filter for your sake. [xx(]

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What do you mean? im thinking about changing the filter. going on a tank of gas, if nothing changes call the dealer and set a time, the dealer is in Encinitas ford, i live in temecula, like an hour away, nice area though....

·
Registered
845 Posts
I think you're removing the proper screws to get to the air filter, but aren't there 4 screws? I have a zetec, so I'm not sure. You just remove the screws and lift off the top of the airbox. Once it's open and you remove your old filter, you'll know immediately if that's your problem. GO! Keep working until it's off. I doubt you'll hurt anything...by-the-way...the other box you're talking about is the cover over the battery...both are on the driver's side and the battery cover doesn't have screws, just a kinda tab to pull as you lift the cover off.

·
Registered
845 Posts
if it's not coming off...probably...grab a flashlight and look....lol

1 - 20 of 69 Posts