Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
4/11/18 I was at 7 miles left to go until "Empty", when I got a fillup

7 miles x 1 gal / 30.40 miles (my average mpg last year) = .23 gal remaining . . . about 1/4 gallon of gas

. . . + 11.68 gallons that I had just put in = 11.91 gallons

. . . but the tank holds 13 gal, so

. . . 13.00 - 11.91 = 1.09 gal actual left

. . . so, I could go how many more miles?

. . . 1.09 gal x 30.40 miles / gal = 33.14 miles ?

·
Registered
5,899 Posts
There usually is about a gallon of gas that will remain even after it runs out of gas since the fuel pump isn't sucking right off the bottom to prevent sediments being sucked up plus some fuel pumps use that unusable measure of gas to keep itself cool.

I've run my tank down to 0 several times and it seems to only want to hold a bit over 11 gallons.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,455 Posts
I've gone quite a few times w/ the low fuel lite on for 40-50 miles.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info.

It would be good if they said something in the manual like:

The tank holds 13 gallons.

Miles to E will be at 0, when there is 1 to 1.5 gallons left in the tank.

You don't want to go below 1 to 1.5 gallons, because this is the minimum safe amount to prevent damage to the fuel pump, the tank crushing in on itself, and a costly repair so that you have an accurate fuel gauge reading in the future.

·
Registered
16,325 Posts
The 'low fuel' light is not exact and they never will be even tank to tank. Tank slosh and driving conditions vary it.

There is also an emission mandated airspace built into the tank volume, they never fill up 100% unless forced and then you have more problems.

The pump modules hold maybe 2 cups of fuel around the pump entry to prevent starvation, it comes off a pump bypass so constantly refilling that, it prevents momentary fuel starvation at very low tank levels.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Distance to empty is a calculation based on the average fuel mileage from the last 5 fill ups. It can vary greatly based on driving conditions.

·
Registered
72 Posts
There usually is about a gallon of gas that will remain even after it runs out of gas since the fuel pump isn't sucking right off the bottom to prevent sediments being sucked up plus some fuel pumps use that unusable measure of gas to keep itself cool..
Not correct. The pickup is as close to the bottom TO pick up all the fuel and sediment and trap it in the filter. You can't get 13 gallons in the tank because there has to be room for the fuel to expand with temperature changes.

·
Registered
5,899 Posts
Not correct. The pickup is as close to the bottom TO pick up all the fuel and sediment and trap it in the filter. You can't get 13 gallons in the tank because there has to be room for the fuel to expand with temperature changes.
I've changed a few fuel pumps and the pickups do vary between brands and models and I have overfilled my tank (the stop on the handle failed) til it came flowing out the overfill ports built into the filler tube so I did get pretty close to a full 13. I don't fill past the first click and maybe just roundit up a few cents since I am aware of the expansion but you can overfill a tank which usually results in a soaked charcoal canister.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I believe the gas tank capacity is 13.2 gallons which is the same as 50 liters. When the gas light comes on in my 2007 Focus Wagon I have about 1.5 gallons left in the tank.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts