Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've had our 2013 se for two and a half weeks now. It's at 28000 miles.

Today the get gas light came on at "30 miles left to'E'". My girlfriend said that as she left her house to get gas it shot fro 30 to 15 and then down a mile every few seconds very rapidly. What's going on here? Is this an issue we need to address or a common problem? We will monitor this next tank of fuel very closely.

·
FUBARCUS
7,767 Posts
Also things like sloshing or even an incline/decline can change the fuel level. The car probably read it had more fuel then once in level ground the fuel level changed and it read less fuel.

·
Registered
212 Posts
On a flat mine comes on when I have about 2 gallons left in my tank. Mine is a 14 SE. I've stretched it and got it to where I was nervous and it took just shy of a tank after 35 miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
762 Posts
"Girlfriend said..."

I'd wait until I saw it myself. Not knocking her for being a girl or anything else but it might be normal. Also don't know how hard she was driving. Gunning it? Burning the fuel really fast? Corners? Sloshing that fuel around?

·
Registered
466 Posts
LOL christ some of the posts on this site.. its just an estimate of how many miles are remaining in a tank.. its an estimate because it cant be exact...and considering how small the tank is too….

i say estimate because i can drive 30-60 miles before my needle moves off of FULL at all...however i dont think i actually have a full tank of gas still..

am i the only person who gets gas before the light tells me too btw?

·
Registered
212 Posts

^^ this! I tested it out once in my car because these are things you need to know. Otherwise I fill up when I hit half a tank or every two to four weeks. I drive maybe 50 miles every two weeks now and I feel really silly putting in $3-5 to fill it.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
My car acts the same. As soon as I get to about 30 miles to empty, it only takes about 5-6 miles of stop-and-go suburban driving (15 minutes?) for it to drop to ~0.

I'm with rob on this one, it's an estimate and at 30 miles to empty, you're already down to the last 5%-15% (depending on what your average tank is...)

I hit half a tank or every two to four weeks. I drive maybe 50 miles every two weeks
I envy you.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I envy you.

I got super lucky last summer when the company I was working for went bankrupt and I found an awesome telecommuting job. So all my miles now are around town with the occasional road trip. I was driving 35-40 miles one way to work 5-7 days a week before that. In 1.5 years I had already put on well over 27k

·
Registered
530 Posts
Nothing to worry about. Once it reaches 0 it resets to around 10. It will do this several times. Still have yet to run out of fuel.

My fuel light cuts on with 50-60 miles to empty. It's normally under 10 before I fill up.

Sent from my XT1045 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
253 Posts
I cringe every time my girlfriend gets close to E or the mileage gets anywhere close to 0 miles remaining. Poor fuel pump lol

·
Registered
762 Posts
Yeah you're not the only ones who actually fill before the light ever comes on. I don't have a specific OCD time to fill it but I seldom let it go under 1/4 tank.

Having said that, I've put less than 2,000 miles on it since August when I bought it.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
We've had our 2013 se for two and a half weeks now. It's at 28000 miles.

Today the get gas light came on at "30 miles left to'E'". My girlfriend said that as she left her house to get gas it shot fro 30 to 15 and then down a mile every few seconds very rapidly. What's going on here? Is this an issue we need to address or a common problem? We will monitor this next tank of fuel very closely.
Hello leitmotif,

The 2013 Owner’s Manual is a great resource to learn more about your vehicle. Take a peek at page 4; it states the following in regards to low fuel:

- Drivers receive an audible warning when the fuel gauge reads approximately 3/32nd tank, or the estimated travel distance is 62 miles (100 kilometers) until the tank is empty, whichever comes first.

-The fuel indicator lamp illuminates in yellow and the information display shows a low fuel message.

- When the fuel tank gauge reads E, another set of warnings occur: the information display shows a red warning light and Low Fuel in red.

This info is also available in the online owner's manual, here.

If you have any other concerns with your vehicle, please don’t hesitate to contact me. I’ll be happy to look into available options to assist! [:)]

Tricia

·
Registered
60 Posts
Best not to let it go below a 1/4th, and always top it when putting in gas. the less air in your tank the less moisture, and the more fuel the more diluted the solids will be, mo betta fer your tank fuel/filter screen too

·
Registered
185 Posts
No reason to ever go under 1/4 tank unless there is a dire emergency or you're curious to see how far you can go when testing the DTE. Tricia says it best, although my 2012 doesn't give me a red indication. I've taken it down to 0 a couple times. One time I ran out just feet from the pump. Best not to temp the fuel pump or tank gods. I've seen a threat about warping tanks....looks like something one should avoid if they can help it.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Best not to let it go below a 1/4th, and always top it when putting in gas. the less air in your tank the less moisture, and the more fuel the more diluted the solids will be, mo betta fer your tank fuel/filter screen too

My 14 if you try to top off after the first click sends gas all over. Be careful.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
"Girlfriend said..."

I'd wait until I saw it myself. Not knocking her for being a girl or anything else but it might be normal. Also don't know how hard she was driving. Gunning it? Burning the fuel really fast? Corners? Sloshing that fuel around?
You are projecting a bit... I'll politely say that your comment was 100% unnecessary.

LOL christ some of the posts on this site.. its just an estimate of how many miles are remaining in a tank.. its an estimate because it cant be exact...and considering how small the tank is too….

i say estimate because i can drive 30-60 miles before my needle moves off of FULL at all...however i dont think i actually have a full tank of gas still..

Of course it is just an estimate, that isn't the issue. The issue was the rapidly decreasing estimate of mileage remaining.

My car (07 Rabbit) has gone around 65 miles or so before I felt like I should fill up or I'll actually run out. I commute 50 miles per day and I do wait for the light to come on before I get gas. I track my mileage using Fuelly and also gas is pretty expensive in L.A. so I'd like to get as much as I can out of a tank. 125k miles and still running great. Oh, and my work is at the end of a canyon with no gas stations within 8-10 miles.

Nothing to worry about. Once it reaches 0 it resets to around 10. It will do this several times. Still have yet to run out of fuel.

My fuel light cuts on with 50-60 miles to empty. It's normally under 10 before I fill up.

Sent from my XT1045 using FF Mobile
Cool, thanks.

Hello leitmotif,

The 2013 Owner’s Manual is a great resource to learn more about your vehicle. Take a peek at page 4; it states the following in regards to low fuel:

- Drivers receive an audible warning when the fuel gauge reads approximately 3/32nd tank, or the estimated travel distance is 62 miles (100 kilometers) until the tank is empty, whichever comes first.

-The fuel indicator lamp illuminates in yellow and the information display shows a low fuel message.

- When the fuel tank gauge reads E, another set of warnings occur: the information display shows a red warning light and Low Fuel in red.

This info is also available in the online owner's manual, here.

If you have any other concerns with your vehicle, please don’t hesitate to contact me. I’ll be happy to look into available options to assist! [:)]

Tricia
Thank you for the link, I will save it. The car did not come with a manual to consult when we purchased it a couple weeks ago.

·
Registered
762 Posts
You are projecting a bit... I'll politely say that your comment was 100% unnecessary.

Of course it is just an estimate, that isn't the issue. The issue was the rapidly decreasing estimate of mileage remaining.

My car (07 Rabbit) has gone around 65 miles or so before I felt like I should fill up or I'll actually run out. I commute 50 miles per day and I do wait for the light to come on before I get gas. I track my mileage using Fuelly and also gas is pretty expensive in L.A. so I'd like to get as much as I can out of a tank. 125k miles and still running great. Oh, and my work is at the end of a canyon with no gas stations within 8-10 miles.

Cool, thanks.

Thank you for the link, I will save it. The car did not come with a manual to consult when we purchased it a couple weeks ago.
My response would be exactly the same if a girl came in and said "my boyfriend said..."

The speed at which the estimate changed depends on driving behavior.

·
Registered
466 Posts

Cool, thanks.

well estimates do change lol...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts