Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2014 SE with just about 3400 miles on it right now. When I've been filling up the tank, the 'mileage to empty' gauge has consistently been showing around 413 miles to empty with a full tank.

Yesterday I stopped for gas. I still had over 100 miles to empty, but I don't usually fall below the 100 mark. I always use unleaded. There was some reason why I don't normally go to this station, but I forgot about it at the time (I think I had problems with another car after I got gas at this station). The price was $5 higher than what I had paid earlier in the week elsewhere for the same amount of gas, so that threw up a red flag to me.

Then, when I started the car, I noticed it showed 392 miles to empty, not the typical 413, though the gas gauge showed full. Thought maybe I just didn't fill it enough, though I don't stop until it clicks. I had a 70 mile round trip after that, which should have put it around 320 miles to empty by the time I got home. However, I wasn't paying attention and didn't take note of it.

Flash forward to this morning, and the miles to empty showed 413! I've never had the mileage fluctuate like that before. I had to go 3 miles to the store, and in that distance, the mileage to empty dropped to 390. When I parked, and got back in, the car showed over 400 again, and when I got back home it was at 383.

So ever since I filled up at the sketchy gas station, the mileage to empty is fluctuating. Yet the gas gauge still looks like it is on full to me. It should have dropped nearly 1/5 since I traveled over 70 miles after fill up, right?

Anyone have any idea what can be causing this? I tried to reset the tripometer, and all that did was erase my mileage, the miles to empty stayed the same. How are you supposed to know if you need gas if the mileage to empty hops all over the place while you are driving?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Because your "miles to empty" is dependent on your avg. mileage. I can watch my trip meter tick away sometimes up to 10 miles without the miles to empty gauge moving. This usually happens immediately after a fill up. When I near the end of a tank, they tend to move in unison.

·
Registered
217 Posts
don't trust your miles to empty display ,its like your trip mpg display(wide differences between actual mpg and what display shows) to many variables to be 100 percent accurate , my gauge doesn't move much first 70 - 80 miles ,then it really drops after it gets below half, there's several threads if you search "miles to empty" that might help

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It at least didn't go up and down in the same day before the latest fill up (it would only go down), so it seems to be connected to the last fill up. I was looking around through other posts and saw something about if the car isn't turned completely to off during fill up, the computer can get confused? My husband normally is by himself when getting gas, so normally would take the key with him while pumping. I believe this may be the first fill up I've been there for this car, and since I was, he left the key in the ignition (but turned off). Could just having the key in the ignition confuse the computer?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Would help figure it out if you told us what the average MPG reading was (on that same trip computer) each time you list the miles to empty. If the MPg is jumping around, of course the mile sto empty woudl also jump aorund.

Also, I'm unsure (and have been wondering) how the car measures the total remaining gallons in the tank - if that varies, the miles to empty will jump around...and maybe your car has an issue with whatever measures the gas level.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Just think about something. How, you, would calculate how much miles you have left based on the quantity of petrol in your tank ? You need to base yourself on the driver's habits. If they changes, well, the amout of miles left also change. The amount of miles left is based on the current average MPG.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Mine gives a different number every time, I think. I don't think it's just based on your last average MPG, but also on your driving style. I've seen mine go up and down over the course of a drive.

That's normal. The display is trying to be as accurate as possible. It should adjust itself based on your driving style over the course of the tank. It does for me – but then, my driving style changes all the time, so maybe it's just more noticeable for someone like me.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Sure, it will move up and down depending on if you are cruising (increases it) or driving stop/go (lowering it). I just go by my gauge..once it is below 1/4 time to fill up regardless of what the miles to empty says. Its just constantly calculating your mpgs etc....kind of like a rolling average.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Just the other day, I noticed that, after filling up, the miles to empty distance was only corresponding to half a tank, which I had before filling up. About 100 miles later, it still hadn't reset to reflect nearly a full tank and my 40.6 mpg average I'd been getting since filling up.

Is there some simple way to reset the computer that controls this display?

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
don't trust your miles to empty display ,its like your trip mpg display(wide differences between actual mpg and what display shows) to many variables to be 100 percent accurate , my gauge doesn't move much first 70 - 80 miles ,then it really drops after it gets below half, there's several threads if you search "miles to empty" that might help

·
Registered
220 Posts
When I started out for work this morning my "miles to empty" showed
105. After going 10-11 miles the low fuel light came on. After another 15 or so miles the "miles to empty" showed zero. Another 10 miles or so I stopped at a traffic light. A few seconds later the fuel gauge needle popped up to about a quarter full and the "miles to empty" jumped to 53. Drove a few blocks and filled the tank. 10.1 gallons. Average for this tank was about 31MPG.

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
105. After going 10-11 miles the low fuel light came on. After another 15 or so miles the "miles to empty" showed zero. Another 10 miles or so I stopped at a traffic light. A few seconds later the fuel gauge needle popped up to about a quarter full and the "miles to empty" jumped to 53. Drove a few blocks and filled the tank. 10.1 gallons. Average for this tank was about 31MPG.
In city, the fuel gauge can be inaccurate... (frequent start/stop make the fuel slush around in the tank)

·
Registered
220 Posts
In city, the fuel gauge can be inaccurate... (frequent start/stop make the fuel slush around in the tank)
Well derr!!!

City? My commute includes about 30 miles of curvy, up-and-down, mountainous road. It can be a lot of fun.

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
Well derr!!!

City? My commute includes about 30 miles of curvy, up-and-down, mountainous road. It can be a lot of fun.
You know what I meant [;)]

·
Registered
300 Posts
I think something is faulty. Ford wouldn't release such a poor product (if all Focuses were that way), and mine never acts like that at all.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Then, when I started the car, I noticed it showed 392 miles to empty, not the typical 413, though the gas gauge showed full. Thought maybe I just didn't fill it enough, though I don't stop until it clicks. I had a 70 mile round trip after that, which should have put it around 320 miles to empty by the time I got home. However, I wasn't paying attention and didn't take note of it.
I have almost 15k on my car and I've noticed it fluctuates from 430-450. I usually almost always fill up at Costco and a Chevron every several thousand miles.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.