Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I new here so please forgive me if this has been brought up before or I am in the wrong place for this question.

I have 2005 Focus ZX4 with an automatic, I bought the car with 27000 miles on it. I was wondering what is a car like this suppossed to get for MPG?? Right now my girlfriend is getting anywhere from 28-30mpg is this right? I am just wondering since my parents had a 01 Focus that was a twin to our 05 and my mom was getting around 32 mpg or better all the time.

Also what would be the best mods to increase mileage and maybe the power alittle bit??

I have always been into 4wd Ford trucks and actually have 2 now(04 F150 FX4 and 94 F150 4X4), and this is only the 2nd car that I have ever owned so I am trying to learn more about the Focus. So any other little tips or hints about the Focus that you guys may have would be great!!

Thanks
Paul

·
Registered
759 Posts
run some fuel injector cleaner through the car, cleaning out some garbage in the car (the ligther the better) maybe a oil change, ditching your lead foot is always a plus.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
and make sure your tire pressures are adjusted correctly, the less drag the better.

(5lbs of underinflation = 15% or more extra rolling resistance)

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
A decent "tune-up". Oil , plugs, air filter or good intake. The big thing though is driving style. With the same focus I usually get 28-29 MPG, while my wife gets 33MPG... IN THE SAME CAR!!! Driving style makes a huge dif.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just bought my 01 ZX3 and was trying to squeak out a few more MPG when I found this site. Take the time to really read it and try it. A co-worker of mine got 10% on the first tank, after only using 1oz per gallon. my results are not as good, 5% but still experimenting. I did notice a better feel out of the pedal and since it's still new I'm having trouble keeping my foot off of it!!!

http://www.pureenergysystems.com/news/2005/03/17/6900069_Acetone/

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Mythbusters dyno tested acetone, on both carb and fuel injected cars, and documented there was no improvement in MPG from the use of acetone.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The best way to get good mpg other than driving habit is tire pressure. The next is lose some weight and maintain your car with good filters and oil. UDP, Intake, Hotter coil, good plugs/wires will help too. Belive it or not, tinting the windows also helps due to the a/c not working as hard. Roll up windows on highway to reduce drag and down in the city with a/c off. Dont use rooftop ski/bike racks. a good ducktail spoiler may help too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts