Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Fear the TurboSnail!
6,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been loosing oil lately. So I did a compression test. Cylinders 1,3,4 are 180-185 OSI. Number 2 is 165. So i think I am going to need a replacement engine. I'm wanting a 2.3l to replace my 2.0. Anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
I would do a leakdown test to ensure its not just a burnt valve that needs replacing. Replacing a valve in the head would be a lot cheaper than a whole engine.

And have you pinpointed where the oil loss is taking place? Just because compression is slightly low in one cylinder doesn't mean its losing it there. How are the seals in the turbo?

·
Fear the TurboSnail!
6,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How do you check turbo seals?

·
what it be like
6,381 Posts
damn I thought you were in Cali...anyways my buddy has a 2.0 duratec with like 40k on it sitting in his garage with tranny and everything I think he only wanted like 400 bucks LOL

·
Fear the TurboSnail!
6,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also how do you do a leak down test?

·
FF Affiliate
31,175 Posts
Not trying to be asmart azz but if you do a search on the net it wil cover that a lot better then my typing it all out , its basicly like a compression test but you put air in the cyl then see what % is leaking out past ? ?????

Tom

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
You hook a leakdown gauge up to a compressed air source and then thread a hose into the sparkplug hole of a cylinder while it's at TDC compression stroke. The valves are closed and the gauge displays what percentage of air is lost from the source, leaking past the rings and valves. This isn't feasible for most people since you need a good steady supply of compressed air to get a reliable result.

You should try a wet compression test, soak that cylinder with a good dose of oil and if the numbers improve much then it's a problem with the piston rings. You'd still be SOL but you'd know more.

·
Boost Addict
2,628 Posts
Sorry to hear that Mave! Hope you get it pin-pointed and its not replacing the whole engine. Although a 2.3L would be sweeeet!

How do you check turbo seals?
A question I am wondering as well. I do get some sporadic smoking at idle sometimes; never during normal acceleration, in boost or deceleration. There is no shaft play in the turbo either. I emailed a turbo rebuilding company in Falls Church, VA this weekend so we'll see what they say.

·
Fear the TurboSnail!
6,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That smoking can be your pcv.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
^He did the PCV delete. We thought for sure that was it.

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Taking off the charge and exhaust piping from the turbo and checking for oil is probably the easiest method for confirming oil consumption past turbo seals. Check the oil return line for obstructions as well.

·
Boost Addict
2,628 Posts
That smoking can be your pcv.
Did the Top Speed PCV Delete. Was hoping it would solve it.

Taking off the charge and exhaust piping from the turbo and checking for oil is probably the easiest method for confirming oil consumption past turbo seals. Check the oil return line for obstructions as well.
Intercooler piping is clean inside; like the day I put it on. Just pulled drain line last oil change and it was spotless. I just need to pull the downpipe and check that side. My car does not loose oil over a change interval.

I actually think my drain line may be too small. It's about 3/8 internal diameter; maybe 18" long. CLICK HERE to see a picture. Braided line but not sure of the size. Just used the fittings provided when I bought the kit.

Sorry to thread jack Mave.

·
Fear the TurboSnail!
6,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So I think I found a good replacement. V6 3.5L

·
Registered
716 Posts
Fusion Sport? My brother-in-law has one. Very nice car.

·
Fear the TurboSnail!
6,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'll post pics if I get it tomorrow.

·
Wales!!
10,218 Posts
sorry to hear that, if you decide to buy a 2.3 duratec and build the internals i have a lot for sale right now. i would also do a better deal selling multiple parts together too.

·
Fear the TurboSnail!
6,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So I got the V6 along with a 6 speed transmission AWD.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Nice!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts