Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Summer wheels are 17's ford wheels with shitty Cooper Zeon. 215-50R17. They weight 47 lbs each

I installed my winter tires today.

They are 225-45R17 Continental ExtremeWinter contact and they weight 41.6 lbs each. The car is faster and handling better. Not bad for winter setup.

I did not think that 6 lbs per corner would do such a great difference.

I know what my next summer tires will be.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Summer wheels are 17's ford wheels with shitty Cooper Zeon. 215-50R17. They weight 47 lbs each

I installed my winter tires today.

They are 225-45R17 Continental ExtremeWinter contact and they weight 41.6 lbs each. The car is faster and handling better. Not bad for winter setup.

I did not think that 6 lbs per corner would do such a great difference.

I know what my next summer tires will be.
Not a placebo thing. Less turning weight equals more power. Has very little to do with overall weight of car. Weight the motor physically has to turn decreases power.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Google: "Unsprung weight + suspension"

Overall wheel weight makes a large difference to any vehicle's performance.

Mark

·
Registered
178 Posts
I feel the same. Swapped my 16" steelies for my 15" winter steelies.

Feels faster... so weird.

·
Registered
27 Posts
its probably not the tires that are weighing you down... its the factory ford wheels...... ditch them for some light aftermarket wheels and better tires!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
its probably not the tires that are weighing you down... its the factory ford wheels...... ditch them for some light aftermarket wheels and better tires!
I know the Conti's are light tires. Summer, winter or all season, they seem to be lighter than average.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I haven't decided if I want to get All-Seasons or Winter tires on Steelies.

Either way, has anyone used Goodyears? I tried Bridgestones and didn't like them. I HATE Conti's. Don't want to shell out the extra money for Michelin. Was thinking Goodyear may be good. Thoughts?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I haven't decided if I want to get All-Seasons or Winter tires on Steelies.

Either way, has anyone used Goodyears? I tried Bridgestones and didn't like them. I HATE Conti's. Don't want to shell out the extra money for Michelin. Was thinking Goodyear may be good. Thoughts?
Well I had Goodyear eagli F1 Asymetric on my ST. They were noisy as hell but good at handling the ST.

Why do you hate Conti's?

·
Registered
845 Posts
Well I had Goodyear eagli F1 Asymetric on my ST. They were noisy as hell but good at handling the ST.

Why do you hate Conti's?
The grip isnt horrible, but I just can't get them to last more than 20-30k miles. The Bridgestones lasted, but had horrible grip.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I love continental tires... Absolutely the best tires I've use on multiple cars. I had them on my 3000gt and loved them. Then when I swapped my z06's for all season continentals I really became a believer. Overall, wonderful performance and ware over time. Not to mention a great price for what you get. I had them for about 35k miles on my Z06 before I sold it

Now I can't wait until my coopers wear out to get some new continentals on the focus.

Once I had my Z06 towed for a security issue, and when it got to the shop the mechanics were actually complimenting me on my tire choice. Kind of funny to hear when you are at a shop.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Funny I just put my winters on this past Sunday and have been thinking the same thing. My previous cars always had steelies so I never noticed any difference but now. WOAH. Yeah, car likes to go fast suddenly...but I'm on winters, so I keep reminding myself to keep it in optimal performance zone. :|

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Polar moment of inertia

... I did not think that 6 lbs per corner would do such a great difference. ...
"The car is faster ...
Put a pair of 3 lb weights on a bar about as long as the diameter of your wheels. Hold it in the middle of the bar, straight up over your head, and rotate it like a baton, then try stopping it. Repeat with no weights on the bar.

"... and handling better."

Google: "Unsprung weight + suspension"

Overall wheel weight makes a large difference to any vehicle's performance.

Mark
You can see the difference the sprung-to-unsprung weight ratio makes by watching a big truck (especially a gas tanker) on a bumpy road when it's empty vs full. You can also take the same weighted bar from above, hold it straight out to your side, and raise it up and down quickly like you're flapping your wings. On second thought, don't do that. Rotator cuff injuries are very bad.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I love continental tires... Absolutely the best tires I've use on multiple cars. I had them on my 3000gt and loved them. Then when I swapped my z06's for all season continentals I really became a believer. Overall, wonderful performance and ware over time. Not to mention a great price for what you get. I had them for about 35k miles on my Z06 before I sold it

Now I can't wait until my coopers wear out to get some new continentals on the focus.

Once I had my Z06 towed for a security issue, and when it got to the shop the mechanics were actually complimenting me on my tire choice. Kind of funny to hear when you are at a shop.
Same for me, I'm sold to conti's.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I know the Conti's are light tires. Summer, winter or all season, they seem to be lighter than average.
Tire weight is the biggest contributor to rolling inertia... a good rule of thumb for effective tire mass is 1.9 x the actual weight of the tire. For wheels, the multiplying factor is 1.3 to 1.4 depending on the design.

Going to a smaller tire likely shortened your effective gearing a little bit too.

·
Registered
845 Posts
If a set of Conti's ever lasted more than 20-30k, I would have loved them. But I cant get a set to last. No matter how I drive or what car they're on. I've had 3 sets of them on 3 different cars.

4 really, but 1 set was so bad I took them back after 2 days and got credit for them. That was really the only time I ever had a problem with grip with them.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
1 - 17 of 17 Posts