Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When the car is stopped, and idling, I'm getting a slight tapping sound coming from the engine. My buddy who is pretty good with cars and is the one that helped me with my suspension and cat back said it's my lifters. We were looking in the book and he said there's no where to adjust them.........was wondering if anyone had any ideas of what the tapping sound is and if it's possible (and somewhat easy) to fix it in my garage?

·
Registered
10,024 Posts
loud ones, i have exhaust and intake mods, dont hear it or much of anything anymore, and my timings a little differentnow, so it doesnt make the same sound as it did, pretty sure the clicking is just the motor at work, cams and valves and such, but the motor is quiet enough that you hear it is my guess

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know on some cars, you can change the shims that the cam lobe rides on. Does the Focus have the same kind of setup, the book doesnt really show in detail.

·
Registered
10,024 Posts
unless you were getting stage three cams why would you need too?

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tha was my buddy asking that question. As most know, I'm car illiterate, but I'm learning........my only concern was the clicking sound, but MOFOCUS, you say it will be gone with loud mods? I have a catback, and my Iceman is being shipped on Mon.......I guess I could always turn up Godsmack a lil louder, right.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
I'm pretty sure the clicking sound you hear is the fuel injectors. On some cars they are in fact very noisy. Try it -- pop the hood, and put your ear close to the fuel rail and the clicking noise should be fairly loud. If you have a mechanic's stethoscope that of course works better.

·
Registered
10,024 Posts
i dunno the motor clicking, the turn signal, these noises never bothered me enough to care about them, but yeh after full exhaust, ported 2000, an intake, 65mm tb, cam gears slightly adjusted, UDP, race wires, some other small stuff, no more clickity click that iv noticed

·
Registered
43 Posts
it's probably valve tap. if it's louder when the engine is cold compared to driving for a while then it most likely is. from my experience, it's quite common, especially on 4 cylinders, and really the best way to get rid of it is to turn the radio louder. unless your car has a lot of miles on it the valve train shouldn't need to be adjusted.

·
Registered
73 Posts
could be something on you accessory belt. My water pump went out after 14k. Whenever the engine ran, i always heard this clicking tapping noise. I figured it might have been the camshaft rubbing something but i couldnt tell. Took it in and it was the water pump. Anyway, hope you get it straightened out...

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
these engines have hydrolic lifters. There is no adjustment. I about gaurantee that the noise your hearing is the fuel injectors. Simple stethescope: a long screwdriver. Put the blade against the valve cover and ear against the handle. You will hear all the noise the valves are making. It will sound loud but that is normal. Now put the screwdriver against the fuel rail... you will nearly go def. Good call SVT4ME

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you for the suggestions guys, I'm off tomorrow so I'll see if I can't take care of it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm pretty sure you don't have any lifters. Lifters are old school single cam in block stuff. They ride on the cam, and transmit that action to the rocker arm via a pushrod, and the rocker arm actuates the valve. Ford may have whipped up some type of funky engineering, but I've never seen an DOHC motor that uses lifters, they use cam followers which are the same piece as the rocker. It rides directly on the cam itself.

·
Registered
73 Posts
The focus does have lifters, but it might as well be right on the valve. The lobe pushes down the lifter which pushes down the valve. I took apart a spare zetec head of mine a while back and still have the lifters in ziploc baggies. But the lifters are probably not causing his problem.

·
Registered
10,024 Posts
its not a problem im guessing, i listened to mine tonight, and you can still hear it outside the car at idle, but any other time its drown out, and not at the same pace or rythm it was b4

1 - 20 of 23 Posts