Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, here's the setup I'm planning on having and have a couple questions. I've got a 2003 Focus ZX3. I'm going to run Infinity Kappa 60.5cs components in the front and Infinity Kappa 62.5i in the rear. I'm thinking of getting a pair of Phoenix Gold Titanium 12's and I've currently got 2 pairs of Phoenix Gold QX-8's. Here's my idea:

Run the front and rear speakers from 120Hz on up, the QX-8's from 50Hz-120Hz, and the Titanium 12's 50Hz on down. If I run the QX-8's at that frequency does placement of the speakers play a big role? I want to install 2 of the 8's in the rear hatch and the other 2 under the front seats. Will this sound good at all or be completely pointless to mount them like this? Is it important to place speakers running at these frequencies strategically or is it still considered low enough to sound good from wherever?

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
I don't like the placement of speakers in the hatch or under the seats. With some spacing and a lot of fab work, you could get the 8s in the doors. There was a guy with MTX 8s in the doors of a Contour and they have less room in depth than the Focus. You could do that, put the components in the Kickpanels and that would sound great. As for the Titanium 12's, they rock. I love them. Make sure you power them well though. With that much mid bass and the components in the front, you should'nt need rear fill. You could sell the other two 8's and the Kappa that you ave for the rears to get back some of the cost for the subs.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
81 Posts
If you ask me, it sounds like you're trying to find the hard way to do something. If I were you (and in my case I am) I would put all the time you're going to invest into running all those 8's, into building decent enclosures for those 6.5's you've got, and run them down to 75hz or so where your subs will leave off. But if you've really got a boner for the 8's, and you plan to run them as mid-bass, under the seats and in the hatch isn't going to cut it. The human ear can localize sound frequencies in the mid-bass range, meaning that you're gonna want to be placing them with the same importance that you would your mid and high range drivers.

But if you just want the kick and don't so much care what it sounds like, pretty much stick them where you can fit them. I've always wanted to run a single 12, and two 8's in enclures just behind the seats (ie. rear doors location), and a strong set of components up front. That would be a strong system....

·
Focus Enthusiast
2,208 Posts
low frequencies under a certain point which is like 2500 (might be wrong) hz aren't directional in gerneral unless you count panels resonating a little more. but generaly it won't matter where subs are in the car, so i wouldn't try to make it hard on yourself by doing all that, and i'd definately suggest one 12 over 4 8's. 4 8's might be louder but thye won't hit as low as a 12. for the midbass drivers it's important to get them as equal pathlengths from you as possible, unless you have time alignment features on your hu. If the pathlengths aren't equal it will sound like the sound is coming more from one side than the other. with equal pathelngths you can't tell the difference between the two speakers and your brain will percieve the sound as coming between the two. the best way to do this is kick panels. so just try to get the tweeters and mids placed equaly and then the midbass won't matter very much as long as you put it in the door somewhere. good luck.

- Scott

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
sa_pyro_ne said:
low frequencies under a certain point which is like 2500 (might be wrong) hz aren't directional in gerneral unless you count panels resonating a little more. but generaly it won't matter where subs are in the car,...

- Scott
The frequency point in which you start losing localization is around 100hz and down. The human ear is most sensitive to midrange frequencies in the 2500hz range!
A sub cut off at 100hz or lower can go almost anywhere and you shouldn't easily be able to locate it by ear.

·
Focus Addict
1,245 Posts
Yeah, I was thinking you might want to run a little more frequency thru your 12's like up to 80 or 100Hz with a sharp crossover slope like 24db. I can understand what you want to do with the 8's and 12's and all that. But, I dont think there is enough room in the ZX3 for all that. (I know someone will prove me wrong, but. ) As small as the ZX3 is, I would just run the 12's a little higher with a sharp crossover slope and just run the 6's down to just above the 12's. Then again, I could be wrong. Good Luck

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey , Ive Got 4-6 inch subs in my trunk and they pound nicely :D Hit 142.8 dbs Save the bumps for the rear put some tweeters up fron and run mid in the doors

1 - 8 of 8 Posts