Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there is very limited tunning option for the focus. Predator, SCT and Pectell is about the only ones. Allthough these are good tunning tools I would like to know if anyone has tried installing one of the Haltech or Micro-tech stand alone on the focus. These are very good and very reputable. Not to mention the high horsepower they can produce. I am considering going to one of these if it can be installed in my SVTF.

·
FF Affiliate
31,100 Posts
You state "the high horsepower they can produce" they cant produce any more HP/TQ then the Predator or xcal

It does not come down to what you use to tune it with but knowing how to tune it safe and correct

I have worked with the haltec and the pectel both on the Focus and there a royal pain in the ass to use , the Diablo or SCT both work directly with the sensors on the Focus and do a very good job of it and the Ford ECU is much faster and in my opinion better suited for 99% of the needs of both NA and FI

I had no problem making 700+HP with the stock ECU

Tom

·
Token Engin-nerd
3,414 Posts
That's the thing it is just so simple and easy to use SCT software since the ecu is 100% cracked everything can be re-written to the eeprom...

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You state "the high horsepower they can produce" they cant produce any more HP/TQ then the Predator or xcal

It does not come down to what you use to tune it with but knowing how to tune it safe and correct

I have worked with the haltec and the pectel both on the Focus and there a royal pain in the ass to use , the Diablo or SCT both work directly with the sensors on the Focus and do a very good job of it and the Ford ECU is much faster and in my opinion better suited for 99% of the needs of both NA and FI

I had no problem making 700+HP with the stock ECU

Tom
I have had nothing but problems with both the Predator and the SCT, not to mention all the money spent on dyno and tuning spent for nothing. Thats why Im looking at some other tunning options. Trust me if I had to choose I would go with SCT or Predator just because of the price alone. But around here there are more tunners that tune with Micro-tech and Haltech making very good reliable street power than with the SCT or Predator. I have not heard of a street driven 450-500hp focus tuned with the SCT or Preadator, but I have heard of many 500hp+ street cars tuned with either the Micro-tech or Haltech. I am not a tunner and rely on the information I get through my experience in trying to get the focus to a respectable street HP.

·
Token Engin-nerd
3,414 Posts
I dont think you understand what it takes to get the fuel system to support 500whp... that alone would make people not want to drive the car on the street. Look at Tim's car for example (user turbo turtle)

·
Registered
720 Posts
We tune 500+ hp cars using the factory computer all of the time. Even though this is not on a focus directly it is still a ford and is done very often.

The factory processor is more than capable of this and in my opinion is much easier to work with than a standalone.

If your vehicle is mechanically capable of it, the factory processor can pretty much handle anything you can throw at it. I've worked with a Ford GT that put down over 1000 hp still using the factory processor.

Why go through the hassle of rewiring things for a standalone to work?

·
Token Engin-nerd
3,414 Posts
Exactly, im wondering what all of these "problems" are

could you give us an idea of the problems you've been having? maybe we can help.

·
FF Affiliate
31,100 Posts
I have had nothing but problems with both the Predator and the SCT, not to mention all the money spent on dyno and tuning spent for nothing. Thats why Im looking at some other tunning options. Trust me if I had to choose I would go with SCT or Predator just because of the price alone. But around here there are more tunners that tune with Micro-tech and Haltech making very good reliable street power than with the SCT or Predator. I have not heard of a street driven 450-500hp focus tuned with the SCT or Preadator, but I have heard of many 500hp+ street cars tuned with either the Micro-tech or Haltech. I am not a tunner and rely on the information I get through my experience in trying to get the focus to a respectable street HP.
If you get the PRP you have the power in your hands to make 1000HP safely on the street if thats your goal. I have built 2 Foci that passed the 450-500 mark and did it safely

For 550.00 (remote tune fee) I can get you tuned remote safely and then you can take over from there learing why you go and with the PRP you will be able to open it and see what I am doing

Tom

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We tune 500+ hp cars using the factory computer all of the time. Even though this is not on a focus directly it is still a ford and is done very often.

The factory processor is more than capable of this and in my opinion is much easier to work with than a standalone.

If your vehicle is mechanically capable of it, the factory processor can pretty much handle anything you can throw at it. I've worked with a Ford GT that put down over 1000 hp still using the factory processor.

Why go through the hassle of rewiring things for a standalone to work?
That is exactly my point, not foci (SVT). I bet they are mustangs or some type of V8 cars if not imports. I can easily buy a cobra or an Evo and go big very easy like everyone else. But to see a small displacement domestic car kicking @$$ is what I like and would like to do it with the Foci. And as far as the re-wireing, I dont mind going through work as long as I know it will all be worth it.

·
Token Engin-nerd
3,414 Posts
in my opinion it is a step backwards so no, it would not be worth it

just post up some of the problems you have with the SCT software and we can help

·
Registered
720 Posts
That is exactly my point, not foci (SVT). I bet they are mustangs or some type of V8 cars if not imports. I can easily buy a cobra or an Evo and go big very easy like everyone else. But to see a small displacement domestic car kicking @$$ is what I like and would like to do it with the Foci. And as far as the re-wireing, I dont mind going through work as long as I know it will all be worth it.
You're completely missing the point. V8 or not is irrelevant. It is still a ford processor. It will not be worth it. Everyone in this thread has basically stated that. Using something like the pro racer package where you can tune the vehicle on your own using the factory processor will be cheaper, easier to install and support anything you can throw at it.

-A standalone will not by itself make more power than a custom tune through SCT or diablo or anybody on any car. Standalone does not mean power, period.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you get the PRP you have the power in your hands to make 1000HP safely on the street if thats your goal. I have built 2 Foci that passed the 450-500 mark and did it safely

For 550.00 (remote tune fee) I can get you tuned remote safely and then you can take over from there learing why you go and with the PRP you will be able to open it and see what I am doing

Tom
Tom, you were my last hope with the predator. My tuner in NC was having trouble loading the tune after dyno runs into my SVTF. It would go to 80% and it would just stop and would not reload the stock tune leaving me stranded an hour away from my house. That happened to my three times. (Not fun). Then I drove the three hours to your shop, you had no problems loading the tune but got me 227HP out of the 250HP we talked about on the phone we could achieve on my set up. I had no issues with that thinking I could later come back and work on bigger numbers. But, then the day after your dyno tune my car just had no top end power, you tried to help me out after I called you but no change. I took the turbo kit off and went back to the bottle and the car ran in the high 13's right off the bat on a 75 shot and no tune. Not even close with the turbo kit (Not Tom's kit). I am not a dyno queen and like to run my car on the track.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You're completely missing the point. V8 or not is irrelevant. It is still a ford processor. It will not be worth it. Everyone in this thread has basically stated that. Using something like the pro racer package where you can tune the vehicle on your own using the factory processor will be cheaper, easier to install and support anything you can throw at it.

-A standalone will not by itself make more power than a custom tune through SCT or diablo or anybody on any car. Standalone does not mean power, period.
Correct me if Im wrong , I understand stand alone does not make power, but it does mean you have more room to work with in smaller increments making the tune that much smoother and reliable to make big power. As you can see in my reply to Tom I have spent so much time and money in trying with these tunners (SCT and Predator) that frustration has begin to set in and almost sold the foci. But everytime I go to the track and run and see the same cars running, motivates me to keep trying.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Correct me if Im wrong , I understand stand alone does not make power, but it does mean you have more room to work with in smaller increments making the tune that much smoother and reliable to make big power. As you can see in my reply to Tom I have spent so much time and money in trying with these tunners (SCT and Predator) that frustration has begin to set in and almost sold the foci. But everytime I go to the track and run and see the same cars running, motivates me to keep trying.
How many domestic street cars do you see running a standalone? Not very many and there is a reason for that. Import yes, there are more;

No, the standalone does not mean you have more room to work. If you are using something like the prp or cmr you have full control over the tables...the factory tables. You can set them in whatever increment you want, you would just need to alter the table axes as well.

·
Token Engin-nerd
3,414 Posts
if you want reliability what could be better than an OEM ecu???

the only times people run into trouble doing big power is when they choose not to upgrade their fuel system or use second-rate parts.

...or when they use a second-rate tuner. The SVT Focus is NOT a mustang they tune VERY differently.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How many domestic street cars do you see running a standalone? Not very many and there is a reason for that. Import yes, there are more;

No, the standalone does not mean you have more room to work. If you are using something like the prp or cmr you have full control over the tables...the factory tables. You can set them in whatever increment you want, you would just need to alter the table axes as well.
I see that your in Orlando are you a tuner/ SCT dealer?

·
FF Affiliate
31,100 Posts
Tom, you were my last hope with the predator. My tuner in NC was having trouble loading the tune after dyno runs into my SVTF. It would go to 80% and it would just stop and would not reload the stock tune leaving me stranded an hour away from my house. That happened to my three times. (Not fun). Then I drove the three hours to your shop, you had no problems loading the tune but got me 227HP out of the 250HP we talked about on the phone we could achieve on my set up. I had no issues with that thinking I could later come back and work on bigger numbers. But, then the day after your dyno tune my car just had no top end power, you tried to help me out after I called you but no change. I took the turbo kit off and went back to the bottle and the car ran in the high 13's right off the bat on a 75 shot and no tune. Not even close with the turbo kit (Not Tom's kit). I am not a dyno queen and like to run my car on the track.
What you and most dont understand is tunes dont change , we dynoed your car then drove it to make sure everything was ok and you headed back home ( dont remember you car exactly but that is how I do things) you got home and had issues , this wasent from the tune or the devise that installed your tune , if it was working when you were here and got home and it didnt then the information going to the ECU wasent what it was when we tunes it , somewhere it was getting diff information , this could just as easy happen with the standalone , this isnt a tuning issue this is a information the ECU was getting from the engine problem or a bad sensor , dirty MAF etc any number of a a few dozen things

Tom

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
if you want reliability what could be better than an OEM ecu???

the only times people run into trouble doing big power is when they choose not to upgrade their fuel system or use second-rate parts.

...or when they use a second-rate tuner. The SVT Focus is NOT a mustang they tune VERY differently.
I personnaly dont use cheap parts, and like I said before, I like reliability and you wont get that with cheap parts. But one that note, a simple turbo proyect gets very expensive when you cant get it tuned to make your expensive parts work well.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts