Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I picked up my first Focus, an 07 Black ZX3 5 Speed with absolutely NO options it seems. I have had it for a couple hours now after picking it up from a used car lot in Charlotte, NC.

First off, no rust. This is the reason for buying in the Carolinas.

Second, do the 07 base cars come without a chip key? I only have one key and it is broken. I don't see the door for the chip but have to believe it is in there...

Third, the steering wheel is shot! Need a new wheel without cruise...

Last, (for now) I am riding on tired 15 inch steelies and 195/65R15 tires. They shake and vibrate so I will be looking on Craigslist in every city I get to.

So far, I love it. Only 32 of my miles on it and I am heading to Martinsville Speedway this weekend [race] before I start the drive to Michigan.

I'll keep updating...

John

·
So mote be it
8,958 Posts
Welcome...Pretty sure the key has PATS but im not informed enough to speak to that...search more around here and you will get an answer.

Any steering wheel from a 00-11 focus should work, easy to replace. I'd suggest looking for a 05-07 ST/SES wheel with leather or 02-04 SVT wheel. The cruise control buttons wont matter, you just wont plug them in. I have an SVT wheel with the cruise buttons in my 07 that doesnt have cruise. I tried with out the controls on the wheel but then it looked strange missing them, so they are on the wheel but not hooked up.

Ebay/junk yard should be your friend. You do need a large size socket (forget the size) to take the wheel off though.
how to (just pay attention to the wheel removal parts)

·
FUBARCUS
2003 ZX3 2016 FoST
7,790 Posts
All of the focus came with a Pats key

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
500 miles in...

Well, it is NASCAR Sprint Cup morning at Martinsville and the Focus has run almost perfectly for 500 miles.

Yesterday morning, it wouldn't start when cold like it wasn't getting spark or fuel. I waited a few seconds, tried it again and it would crank but no start. Then it started right up on the fourth or fifth try. Weird. Ignition short?

Power Steering is starting to make noise typical of most Ford power steering pumps. Will have to research that one...

Bought my first upgrade, new windshield wipers. Also had a set of winter wheels and tires delivered to my house in Michigan sometime Tuesday. The wheels should allow me to upgrade over the winter to SVT brakes. Will a 16 inch wheel fit over SVT brakes? I hope so.

I leave tonight after the race and I am going to drive up I-77 to Cleveland then across 80-90 and up to Detroit. I am stopping along the way to (maybe?) pick up a set of SVT 5 spoke wheels.

Wish me luck!

John

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oops...

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that I locked my only key in the car this morning outside the Ford Tech Trailer...

Arrgh! [?|]

·
Registered
753 Posts
Tires could need balancing unless you can see their shit tread.
if shaking while braking then it could be hot spot on rotors.

"Door" for chip is on top of key.

Have battery tested.
check starter and starter solenoid.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Turned out it was the tires causing the vibration. I made it home with no Focus problems and got 35 mpg! Love this thing!

I called Tire Rack and had a set of Blizzaks mounted on steel wheels waiting for me when I got home on Monday arternoon. Changed the car for the better. Road force balancing is very important to a vibration free ride.

I took it to my local Mechanix on Wednesday for a few small fixes. I had it aligned, rear drums adjusted and he fixed a leaky valve cover gasket. We noticed a bad B+ terminal out of the alternator. The previous alternator probably melted the terminal and, instead of fixing both, the PO just put the alternator in. I went to pick it up and no start. Turns out it was the fuel pump that gave me problems that first morning when it wouldn't start. Glad I got home!

More updates later!

Oh by the way, I threw my wallet away by accident while cleaning out the car on the way home. What a [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]!

John

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Made it thru the Michigan winter...

Now it is time for the mods!

I found a junkyard cluster from an 05 manual 4 door. I swapped it in for the tach. Tach worked but my rear door open, traction control, ABS lights were also on. I dismantled the cluster down to the bare circuit board and used pliers to pull out each micro LED for the lights I didn't want. I even got rid of that stupid shift light. Lo and behold, it worked! Perfectly.

Next is an audio upgrade. The antenna snapped off and I can't get the threads out of the stock antenna mount so I can only listen to 88.7. Stopped by Mikey Shore for JL Audio 6x8s all around with a JL sub in trunk well and JL amp right in front. I'm in Talladega waiting to fly back to Detroit tonight. Can't wait to hear it.

Tomorrow I seal my taillights off for water leaks and then I'm adding select squares of Dynamat to cut roadnoise. Also planning on using expandable foam in key areas.

Still on steel wheels and winter tires.

Any leads on SVT or EAP wheels in the SE MI area? Also, any good junk yards for seats? I wonder if seats from later Foci will bolt in?

If you see a plain jane black 07 ZX3 Downriver with black steelies, stop me and we will meet! Your only clue will be the Steeda license plate frame![driving]

John Moore

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh yeah, forgot to mention that I had to put a new power steering rack, lines and pump in to get rid of the howling cat noise underhood. Also had to replace the driver's outside door handle....

John

1 - 9 of 9 Posts