Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here actually shelled out the big $$$ for these babies? All the test data I've seen at Tire Rack says they're very good, but typically just behind most of their competitors. Any first hand experience here?

·
Registered
317 Posts
They came with our Miata. Pretty good tires, but I'm going with Goodyear F1 GS-D3s next time. Will be putting a set of F1s on the Focus as well.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
No reason to spend that much green when you can just buy Falken Azenis...

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I work with a guy with a 5er with them. He loves them.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Carrera26 said:
No reason to spend that much green when you can just buy Falken Azenis...
I'd always heard the Falkens were pretty unnerving in the rain - a poor rain-performer wouldn't be such a wise decision here in Washington.

*edit* - I was also looking at the options available from Costco - basically limited to Pilot Sports and BF Goodrich KDs.

·
Oh yeah!
2,522 Posts
Get some Kumho Ecsta MX's if you want maximum grip and still excellent wet traction.

Are you just looking for maximum performance tires? Have you checked out the thread I made?
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=83864

I just don't think you get what you pay for when you buy Michelin street tires. You get a good tire, but they just cost too damn much. Michelin makes excellent motorcycle tires at reasonable prices, though. [;)]

I'm still wanting to hear some feedback on these.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Potenza+RE-01R

If you want excellent wet traction, you're basically looking at more void space. That's the trade off between excellent dry grip and excellent hydroplane resistance. The Goodyear Eagle GS-3s are definitely good tires. I've driven on them in a friend's SVT at a lapping day, and I was fairly impressed with the level of grip they generated in the dry. Of course, they're inherently grippy in the wet, so that may be a good choice (still a little pricey I think).

I personally can't wait to try out the Falkens since I think their sidewall will be stiffer than the Kumho's.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts