Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my car on Monday - latest version and MFT worked great in my opinion. (I didn't plug in my iPod until last night). Sync website was down the day I picked the car up so I did not pair my phone at that time. Today I went back to the dealer to get the sync website registered and for them to walk me through setting up the phone. Well, adding a phone would never produce the number needed to program my phone. The sales team tried doing a master reset on the MFT with no success. The technician had to take a wire off (under the hood - looked like some sort of grounding wire in my opinion) for a few minutes to clear out stuff (my technical term). He said that the iPod Classics do make the MFT freeze up and said iTouch & iPod 4 were fine. He asked if my iPod was over 2 years old. So no plugging in the old ipod any more unless I want to screw up my MFT. I guess this is my excuse to upgrade my phone. [:)] He recommended using a USB stick for music instead of my ipod. So everything is working fine again. [wrenchin]

·
Registered
647 Posts
I've got a 120 GB classic. If someone from Ford were to tell me I couldn't use it, I'd tell them to exchange my brand new Focus for a car that would.

Tony

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
I'm using an old 120gb Classic w/a little over 80gb of music and it hasn't been a major problem but I still can't get the "Play (artist, album, song)" voice commands to work and it forces me to the touchscreen eventually (other voice commands work, it is just he play series that is messed up). Indexed faster than I thought it would after reading some of the stuff on other threads but I do get the "Building Media Commands" message more than I think I should be. I've also noticed if I call for the iPod by voice, it tells me multiple devices of the same name were detected and asks for a specific (1-4) USB port. I only have one iPod (of that name or any other for that matter) and it has always been in the same USB port so I don't know why it is asking me to choose between four USB ports.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Never had issues with my 120gb iPod Classic... indexed, commands built, voice commands work...

Make sure your MFT is up to date with the latest TSB update, version 2.11.

Also, if you can't pair your phone... try to reverse pair it. Turn Bluetooth on on the phone and search for devices that way.. then MFT should display a code you input on the phone not the other way around. That's what my salesman did for me and that's what I did post-update and I've never gotten into the car without it pairing to my phone flawlessly.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Never had issues with my 120gb iPod Classic... indexed, commands built, voice commands work...

Make sure your MFT is up to date with the latest TSB update, version 2.11.

Also, if you can't pair your phone... try to reverse pair it. Turn Bluetooth on on the phone and search for devices that way.. then MFT should display a code you input on the phone not the other way around. That's what my salesman did for me and that's what I did post-update and I've never gotten into the car without it pairing to my phone flawlessly.
Play artist and the like working for you on the iPod? I can't figure it out. Everything else (skip, repeat ,etc.) is working but not those and I want them to. Don't want to use the screen while I'm driving as it is unsafe. Again, building media commands keeps seem to be happening to me.

You definitely have to pair phone and bluetooth in the right order. If you did not do this right the first time you have to wipe out the phone from memory and do it again. Do not do it wrong and then try and do it right without wiping out the old settings or it will result in a lot of headache.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Play artist and the like working for you on the iPod? I can't figure it out. Everything else (skip, repeat ,etc.) is working but not those and I want them to. Don't want to use the screen while I'm driving as it is unsafe. Again, building media commands keeps seem to be happening to me.

You definitely have to pair phone and bluetooth in the right order. If you did not do this right the first time you have to wipe out the phone from memory and do it again. Do not do it wrong and then try and do it right without wiping out the old settings or it will result in a lot of headache.
Play artist/album/song is working for me with the iPod. Again, I ask if you have the 2.11 TSB update? I never tried before, but it didn't seem to finish indexing or building media commands before the update. Afterwords, it finishes quickly and I can then start to use the SYNC commands to get the right results. You just have to speak clearly and give the computer a second to process it. Has worked like a charm for me.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The technician did verify I had the most up to date version. (Just built 8/2). Sales tried to pair it from the phone to the MFT - but that did not produce the number on the MFT screen either. Good thought though. The voice commands were not always recognizing the USB or any commands associated with it before the technician reset it. I had no problems with the Radio or Sirius. Oh - the system information did disappear sometime before the removing the cable to reset the MFT. (Just providing this information in case someone else has seen something similar).

Since I now know how to totally reset it - I may try letting it index the ipod again since some of you aren't having the problem and I now have the phone paired up.

As a side note, I'd like to request an upgrade for my computer's voice. Can I have a "Barry White" voice instead? She doesn't always understand what I'm saying.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Lol at voice question... I think it would be cool to have various voice options as well. Just let the car index and build the media commands before trying to use the SYNC voice commands and dont start poking around the MFT while its indexing and processing the iPod data... the more commands you give it all in a short time the more likely it is to freeze.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just let the car index and build the media commands before trying to use the SYNC voice commands and dont start poking around the MFT while its indexing and processing the iPod data....
Good Point - I did go to other things while it was indexing. I must practice patience. I'm a gadget girl and I am glad I got the MFT. I love this car!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Since I now know how to totally reset it - I may try letting it index the ipod again since some of you aren't having the problem and I now have the phone paired up.
So I may have missed this but how does one do a master reset on the MFT systsm? I'm having a few issues and am taking it in for a look but would love to know how to reset it myself.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Play artist/album/song is working for me with the iPod. Again, I ask if you have the 2.11 TSB update? I never tried before, but it didn't seem to finish indexing or building media commands before the update. Afterwords, it finishes quickly and I can then start to use the SYNC commands to get the right results. You just have to speak clearly and give the computer a second to process it. Has worked like a charm for me.
Yeah, it is the latest version. Car came with it (very late July build). Like I said, no problems indexing, just keeps returning to building media commands over and over and over.

Maybe I'll try deleting it out from the system and hooking it up again fresh when I get some free time.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
As a side note, I'd like to request an upgrade for my computer's voice. Can I have a "Barry White" voice instead? She doesn't always understand what I'm saying.
Hah, I'd love this! I know some of the stand alone GPS units have options to change voice. I'd love Homer Simpson asking me for commands. A nice "D'OH" when the system doesn't understand me would be good!

·
Registered
781 Posts
So I may have missed this but how does one do a master reset on the MFT systsm? I'm having a few issues and am taking it in for a look but would love to know how to reset it myself.
easy way is to go to the engineering menu. power your radio off. hold down right and eject for a few seconds. it will go into speaker test. exit that. you get a whole engineering menu of fun goodies. i don't recommend playing around unless you know what you're doing. one of them is for a master reset. warning: it will clear out all your saved data, paired phones, saved numbers, saved favorites, radio presets, everything.

·
Registered
215 Posts
copernicium112, I've seen others post that if the metadata in your mp3 files isn't correct, voice commands don't work. Ford has a program that cleans up your mp3 library so that voice commands do work. You could try running that.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
copernicium112, I've seen others post that if the metadata in your mp3 files isn't correct, voice commands don't work. Ford has a program that cleans up your mp3 library so that voice commands do work. You could try running that.
Thanks, it is syncmyitunes. I learned about it in reading this forum actually. I ran it before I even had the car (in preparation) and it found over 100 errors and cleaned them up. I ran it again and it was clean. Then I re-synched my iPod.

Metadata seems to be intact and shows up fine on the screen. I go in and check the properties of random songs and the file structure seems intact.

The most annoying part is that just some of the commands do not work (specifically the "Play ............ ones). If it was all or nothing at least I'd have something to go on but when some work and some don't, I don't even know how to troubleshoot that.

·
Registered
254 Posts
The most annoying part is that just some of the commands do not work (specifically the "Play ............ ones). If it was all or nothing at least I'd have something to go on but when some work and some don't, I don't even know how to troubleshoot that.
I'm guessing you're telling Sync "USB" first and then "Play album X" right? It's simple but I figured it's worth mentioning as I hate overlooking the easy stuff.

·
Registered
781 Posts
i have found telling Sync to play X album is pretty much hit and miss. some albums it understands the names for, some simple album names it doesn't. this is playing them off of a SD card and USB stick.

this is where i think MFT is a major failure. there is no easy way to just jump to an album and listen to it. sync doesn't get it right (often) and browsing through the touch screen is not only majorly slow, but distracting for the driver. the touch screen offers no tactile feedback (unlike buttons and knobs on a radio), is slow, and requires the driver to look away for far too long (to look to "grope" for a control, and read information on the screen).

·
Registered
254 Posts
Good Point - I did go to other things while it was indexing. I must practice patience. I'm a gadget girl and I am glad I got the MFT. I love this car!
As a gadget guy, I'm glad I got MFT too. Despite the issues I had read about before getting the car I didn't think I'd regret MFT at all.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
I'm guessing you're telling Sync "USB" first and then "Play album X" right? It's simple but I figured it's worth mentioning as I hate overlooking the easy stuff.
Yeah, I can call out USB or even the name of my iPod (though when I simply say the name of my iPod it tells me multiple devices of that name were found and to say which USB port to access and lists four USB lines on the screen (it is always in line 1).

"Play album", "Play artist", "Play song" and "Play playlist" just will not work. After a couple of attempts at any of these, it will eventually force me to say "Browse (playlist, artist, album, or song)" and bring the selected list up on the screen and tell me to select from there. Things like "Skip", "Repeat", "Next", "Back", etc. work fine though.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts