Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had my car in for the 3K oil change and the software update (mine froze for the first time last Saturday). I was kind of taken aback as they charged me for the update. Why wouldn't this be covered under warranty and as I also have ESP up to 100K miles (bumper to bumper) why wouldn't this pick it up if not covered under original warranty?

Anyone have a clue? I'm contacting my salesman today.

Joe

·
Registered
201 Posts
Go back and ask for a FULL refund. This dealer is charging you for something he clearly knows is a free service. I hate dealers like this. Nobody else in this forum has been charged.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Go back and ask for a FULL refund. This dealer is charging you for something he clearly knows is a free service. I hate dealers like this. Nobody else in this forum has been charged.
I agree, updates are supposed to be free. I would also call ford so they can be aware of the dealer scamming people.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
I second this. If they want to charge you, take it to another dealer. I took mine to a dealer that wasn't my own, the v2.11 update was still free.

·
Registered
201 Posts
they do provide updates via syncmyride.com

Some of the updates are more significant that others, and require a more complicated process. For example this update has multiple steps and can take over an hour. I would nt want people that own my cars doing this on their own. User error would be greater than Ford dealers, and I know some may not believe this. If you worked in IT, you would not be surprised by this statement.

Tick-Tock update. Tick is available from syncmyride.com and are less significant. Tock is only through your dealer and is a more significant upgrade and/or requires more steps to install.

·
Registered
146 Posts
they do provide updates via syncmyride.com

Some of the updates are more significant that others, and require a more complicated process. For example this update has multiple steps and can take over an hour. I would nt want people that own my cars doing this on their own. User error would be greater than Ford dealers, and I know some may not believe this. If you worked in IT, you would not be surprised by this statement.

Tick-Tock update. Tick is available from syncmyride.com and are less significant. Tock is only through your dealer and is a more significant upgrade and/or requires more steps to install.
But both should be free! The OP was ripped off! Unbelievable!

·
Registered
201 Posts
and they ARE free.

This is a dealer trying to make a quick buck. I hope he gets reported to Ford. These dealers give Ford service a bad name. AFAIK this is the first time anyone has reported being asked to or having to pay for 2.11

·
Registered
128 Posts
I need to call Ford also about this because when I went for the update, they tried to charge me $50.00 and I told them absolutely NO WAY!! I listed every issue I was having with the MFT since day 1 and they said "Oh well okay, the update is only free of charge if you are having reoccuring problems so we won't charge you." So basically if others aren't having issues and want the update they have to pay $50 for it?? That should be free and now I am reassured of it from this thread because I thought I was right when I told them that day that its supposed to be free. Seems like we know more than some Ford dealers out there.. what a shame.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
So basically if others aren't having issues and want the update they have to pay $50 for it??
Basically. My dealer told me if I wasn't having problems not to take it in. Luckily (or unluckily...?) I had a bunch of black screens and freeze-ups...

·
Registered
263 Posts
We might be jumping the gun on calling this dealership out. They may not know there is a TSB for the update, and that is why they charged. The dealership closest to me told me that all updates are $200.00 when I checked with them a little over a month ago. I haven't done the update yet because I'm not having many problems and don't want to risk something getting messed up. If I do get the update, I'm not going to pay for it.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
From the TSB:

WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB.
Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

·
Banned
363 Posts
We might be jumping the gun on calling this dealership out. They may not know there is a TSB for the update, and that is why they charged. The dealership closest to me told me that all updates are $200.00 when I checked with them a little over a month ago. I haven't done the update yet because I'm not having many problems and don't want to risk something getting messed up. If I do get the update, I'm not going to pay for it.
Bullshit. It's the dealerships job to know this. Customer comes in with an MFT issue, they call the hotline. It's typical scumbag stealership tactics to treat the customer like shit once they have their money.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Bullshit. It's the dealerships job to know this. Customer comes in with an MFT issue, they call the hotline. It's typical scumbag stealership tactics to treat the customer like shit once they have their money.
+1000 on this.

They have computers and all the TSB's are on the Ford Service Network. The responsibility is on them to be up to date on all Service Bulletins.

The Owner's responsibility is to remind the the dealership of the fact that there is a 36000 mile bumper to bumper warranty, and if the dealership tries to evade their responsibility, the owner should call the Customer Service hotline right from the Service Department.

What a dick move by that guy's dealership.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I was kind of taken aback as they charged me for the update.
CONTACT FORD CUSTOMER SERVICE IMMEDIATELY.

There is a TSB out for this, and they are not allowed to charge for this update. Ford NEEDS to know about scumbag dealerships like this so they can take action.

·
Registered
395 Posts
CONTACT FORD CUSTOMER SERVICE IMMEDIATELY.

There is a TSB out for this, and they are not allowed to charge for this update. Ford NEEDS to know about scumbag dealerships like this so they can take action.
This is not just dealerships... When I talked to ford customer care, she said that they were discussing the charges for the coming update in January of 2012. She did not mention that it would be completely free under the warranty, but rather that it was under discussion.

My feeling is Ford wants to charge for updates. I'm sure dealerships are charging FoMoCo alot for MFT updates.
I mean it takes techs a whole day to update, granted they can be doing other things while it runs, but I'm sure that is not how the dealers are charging corp. for warranty work.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
I'm sure dealerships are charging FoMoCo alot for MFT updates.
Don't be so sure...

A dealership cannot charge Ford an arbitrary amount of time (= money) for performing a TSB.
In the case of MyFord Touch TSB (reprogramming the APIM), it is fixed at 1.3 hours.

·
Banned
363 Posts
This is not just dealerships... When I talked to ford customer care, she said that they were discussing the charges for the coming update in January of 2012. She did not mention that it would be completely free under the warranty, but rather that it was under discussion.

My feeling is Ford wants to charge for updates. I'm sure dealerships are charging FoMoCo alot for MFT updates.
I mean it takes techs a whole day to update, granted they can be doing other things while it runs, but I'm sure that is not how the dealers are charging corp. for warranty work.
Why does this not suprise me....

1 - 20 of 32 Posts