Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ford has two different configurations for the dashboard on MFT cars. One is what's in the 2012 Focus with a single centered screen like this:

The other is a dual screen setup like that found in the 2011 Edge:

To be honest, I was a little disappointed on my test drive that the Focus has the single screen setup since the Focus site links to the MFT site showing dual screens. I got over it but what's curious is the Edge and Explorer have dual-screens and the Focus Electric and the new Taurus are both slated to get dual-screens. I believe the EU spec Focus also gets the dual screen.

It looks like the standard US Focus (and the ST?) are stuck with the single screen for now. Do you think they're eventually bump up to the dual screen solution? Is the single screen setup destined to be phased out?

·
Registered
524 Posts
You could argue that the bottom setup has an analog gauge missing too. I kind of like the simplicity of the single screen setup. I just wish it wasn't so deep set into the dash.

·
Registered
781 Posts
i have to admit the dual screens was one of the things i really liked about the fusion hybrid, add in that you can customize what you see on those side displays. very handy. while i wouldn't have minded them on the focus i didn't make my purchase decision on that factor alone.

eventually i don't see why it all just won't be screens and we will be able to customize them all.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Hi, in europe the MFT is not available until 2012 and as I've seen no pictures of our version I cannot comment on whether it has one screen or two.
Chris

·
Registered
589 Posts
As long as navigation info is displayed in the smaller LCD screen I don't care what system (single or dual) I use.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I like the 2 analog gauges at the bottom with the one-screen design. Cars are moving to integrate more technology pretty quickly, but the one screen design is a great compromise.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As long as navigation info is displayed in the smaller LCD screen I don't care what system (single or dual) I use.
I've only seen it mentioned off-hand that this is possible on the single screen. Can anyone confirm this?

·
Registered
132 Posts
I'll admit, I'm happy with the single screen (okay, I'm biased, I don't have MFT), but when I saw an edge on display, I wasn't happy about all the computer-based gauges. I like them analog, but a computer to aid the gauges always makes me happy. I've been always amused with the MFD Trip Computer on VW vehicles. Although the 2012 Focus doesn't show everything the VW does, the display quality is great.

I'll admit the navigation directions showing on the right hand side of the Focus small LCD is a nifty touch.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
i really would like to see the whole, tach/guage area a screen that the user can change to there liking. i think something like would be neat.

but just from those two pictures i like the current focus but if the 2 screens provide more useful info i would vote for that

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No problem. I wasn't 100% sure myself and I came across that pic randomly. Glad I found it!
It really does make me feel better about the single screen solution.

The big thing I feel it's still missing though, compared to the dual screen, is that with the right side 5-way controller, you can access all the important phone, nav, climate, etc controls. It's all things that can be controlled by voice or the touchscreen but the steering wheel controls just seem way more efficient and your hands remain on the wheel.

The video on this page kinda shows what I mean: http://www.ford.com/technology/sync/myfordtouch?id=steering&v=1

1 - 13 of 13 Posts