1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
845 Posts
Looks kind of cool but what I really want is Android Auto. Now that stuff makes Sync look ancient.

http://www.android.com/auto/
I've been saying this forever. Since before Android Auto was a thing. I don't understand why car (and phone for that matter) manufacturers insist on making their own half-assed and buggy programs and stuff for equipment when there are companies that are pro's at it.

Now imagine Android Auto that synced your phone, your car, and your computer (Or at least browser) together. Not to mention a great interface with unlimited potential and a steady stream of updates. That's a dream world I hope to live in one day. [twothumbs][twothumbs]

·
Registered
845 Posts
Here's a cool demo video I found. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-zf6gdo23k

Apparently Android Auto will be available on aftermarket units and Google is working with Automakers to get it retrofitted to "old" systems like ours.
I was thinking about going aftermarket anyways. I know someone who can get the DVD to play while driving.

(Save me the safety lecture, I know the dangers)

·
Registered
136 Posts
While Google sells your position, speed, route, destination and origin, music choice, handset make, car make and model to all and sundry.

Sorry nothing from Google ever going in my car or in my home if I can help it. It would be a reason NOT to buy a Ford

·
Registered
472 Posts
While Google sells your position, speed, route, destination and origin, music choice, handset make, car make and model to all and sundry.

Sorry nothing from Google ever going in my car or in my home if I can help it. It would be a reason NOT to buy a Ford
They dont do a lot of selling of specific info, they use it for themselves so they can target ads to you. They do sell aggregate info. Besides, except for your specific car info the gov't(via your cell and other sources) and your cell phone carrier know and use that info as well. So its not going to make a difference. Matter of fact, I would trust google more with that info, the cell phone carriers dont even put up a fight when the gov't and local police want your info.

·
Registered
321 Posts

I agree with you there. I dropped the Google life a few years back when BlackBerry 10 came out. I haven't been happier since. Also, I am under the understanding that Ford will be working with QNX in future infotainment. Check it out. Very cool stuff...

http://www.qnx.com/products/qnxcar/

·
Registered
845 Posts

They dont do a lot of selling of specific info, they use it for themselves so they can target ads to you. They do sell aggregate info. Besides, except for your specific car info the gov't(via your cell and other sources) and your cell phone carrier know and use that info as well. So its not going to make a difference. Matter of fact, I would trust google more with that info, the cell phone carriers dont even put up a fight when the gov't and local police want your info.
Exactly. Google uses that information for their own research purposes. The data they sell is just the metadata.

Google isn't the ones to be worried about. If they get caught doing anything shady with your info, they stand to lose BILLIONS! The ones to worry about are your local grocery store, pharmacy, credit card companies, store cards, etc. All those "reward" cards, are information collectors that sell very specific information. You think Google Auto is scary? You should hear some of the stories about OnStar and GM. Holy crap!

And to the other guy that said he switched from Google to Blackberry because of that, lol. Blackberry is MUCH more likely to sell personal info than Google. They're damn near bankrupt. They'll sell your info for diet coke and a snickers bar. I wouldn't count on any longterm commitment to QNX. With Apple and Android both starting to get into the cars, it's most likely going to be a war between manufacturers to get the most popular one out of those 2 in their cars.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Here is the list of who has signed up with whom. It looks like Ford is going to try and work with both. This is the future for all cars, it's unavoidable....unless you want to ride a horse? (Remember this isn't something that's going to happen this year or next. It's most likely a few years out for most, although some have said sooner.) Personally, I'd look for Ford to try and keep forcing Sync and Applink until they can't keep up with the competition. I'll by Android Auto tomorrow if it was available! Google Maps/Earth on my screen? Yes please.

http://www.wired.com/2014/06/carplay-android-auto-automakers/

These guys are Android Auto exclusive so far:

Acura
Bentley
Infiniti
Maserati
Renault
Seat
Skoda
Volkswagen
And these brands are currently working with only Apple’s CarPlay:

BMW
Citroen
Ferrari
Jaguar-Land Rover
Mercedes-Benz
Peugeot
Toyota
A few brands have already signed up with both tech giants:

Abarth
Alfa Romeo
Audi
Chevrolet
Chrysler
Dodge
Fiat
Ford
Honda
Hyundai
Kia
Jeep
Mazda
Mitsubishi
Nissan
Opel
RAM
Subaru
Suzuki
Volvo

·
Registered
321 Posts
And to the other guy that said he switched from Google to Blackberry because of that, lol. Blackberry is MUCH more likely to sell personal info than Google. They're damn near bankrupt. They'll sell your info for diet coke and a snickers bar. I wouldn't count on any longterm commitment to QNX. With Apple and Android both starting to get into the cars, it's most likely going to be a war between manufacturers to get the most popular one out of those 2 in their cars.
You may want to check your numbers. BlackBerry's shares alone are valued at over $5.5 billion, and that doesn't include their cash assets of over $2 billion and patents at whatever their value. That isn't exactly bankrupt.

As far as getting either Android Auto or Apple's system, I am under the understanding that Apple's is just an interface that sits on the existing OS. You connect an iPhone and it loads up the Apple interface like an app. The examples I have seen have run on QNX, but I'm sure others can develop an OS to host the interface. A quick check on Wikipedia about Android Auto shows it may be a similar situation for it as well. "Rather than running its own operating system, the head unit will serve as an external display for the Android device, which runs all of the software, by presenting a car-specific user interface built into Lollipop." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_Auto

·
Registered
845 Posts
You may want to check your numbers. BlackBerry's shares alone are valued at over $5.5 billion, and that doesn't include their cash assets of over $2 billion and patents at whatever their value. That isn't exactly bankrupt.

As far as getting either Android Auto or Apple's system, I am under the understanding that Apple's is just an interface that sits on the existing OS. You connect an iPhone and it loads up the Apple interface like an app. The examples I have seen have run on QNX, but I'm sure others can develop an OS to host the interface. A quick check on Wikipedia about Android Auto shows it may be a similar situation for it as well. "Rather than running its own operating system, the head unit will serve as an external display for the Android device, which runs all of the software, by presenting a car-specific user interface built into Lollipop." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_Auto
I honestly can't speak too much for Apples CarPlay, but I believe that to be correct. They're not really too much into Automotive stuff, they're basically doing it to keep up with Google IMO.

As for Android Auto, I have to be careful what I say. But they do have one that runs over existing OS. But it has nothing to do with QNX specifically. It can run over any OS, QNX, Windows, Linux, etc.

But there's a reason it's called "Android Auto". They're MUCH more into the Automotive software. Just think about Googles self driving car. It's nothing for Google to take it a step further and take the underlying OS out of the deal entirely. You'll see that more in the aftermarket most likely, however.

As for BB. They're essentially on life support. Cash on hand is good, but speaks to nothing in regards to actual business health. Their overall share value doesn't mean as much as what the individual shares are trading for (Which is actually not bad, but that's because of the Lenovo buyout rumors). Patents are awesome, but they're not as valuable as people may think. They're only worth what you'll sell them for. Blackberry has been reluctant to sell them, and most likely will sell the company before the patents. BB's in debt (Most owned by Fairfax Financial, over $1billion in debt to them), not growing their mobile business at all, and losing existing customer share almost every day. Lenovo's been dying to buy BB out, as has other companies. The only REAL question is, will they sell the company before they're bankrupt? They're not gaining market shares in the mobile industry anymore.

·
Registered
321 Posts
You're right that they aren't gaining market share, but they have other forms of revenue. They have already started turning the company around, and posted positive numbers at their last quarterly earnings report. You shouldn't be so quick to write off the company considering they are still the largest MDM, and have diversified into other markets, including automotive. The CEO was quoted saying they only need to sell 10M phones in a YEAR for the division to be profitable. That's not many considering they sell phones all over the world.

·
Registered
845 Posts
You're right that they aren't gaining market share, but they have other forms of revenue. They have already started turning the company around, and posted positive numbers at their last quarterly earnings report. You shouldn't be so quick to write off the company considering they are still the largest MDM, and have diversified into other markets, including automotive. The CEO was quoted saying they only need to sell 10M phones in a YEAR for the division to be profitable. That's not many considering they sell phones all over the world.
Of course the CEO is going to say that. If he says otherwise, he loses investors lol. They are "diversifying" into other markets. But as I see it, they're reaching for any business plan that will keep them afloat for a bit longer. I honestly hope one works out, as a company I actually like BB, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Especially when it comes to the cutthroat automotive industry.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I know what Google does with my data, they asked for permission(TOS) when I signed up for their services. Doesn't matter who you use they all do the same with your data. The product they give me for my data is super useful so I'll keep using the till the break my trust.

I'm sorry but BlackBerry just makes bad products with absolutely no 3rd party app support. Last time BB made anything remotely interesting was before the iPhone. I do not what there product in my car ever. That company is a sinking ship.

If you go to the bottom of the Android Auto home page it says
Start your engines
Android Auto is coming soon to new vehicles from the following automakers
and Ford is listed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts