Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ethanol - Good or Bad

My Chrysler 200 got better milage with REAL gasoline. It def did not like that 5% Meth crap. I do have one fill spot where I can get 100% gasoline.

Will this new 2.0L, high-tech motor perform well with methanol?

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
Are you talking about ethanol?

·
Registered
112 Posts
These cars won't take E85. Do you mean the 5-10% mix some states sell in the winter and other states force us to use year long? If so, it sucks, because you get worse mileage and still pay rip-off prices.

·
Registered
621 Posts
No it's horrible. They only put it in gas for emissions. In Cali it's so bad I noticed a difference driving back out here from Missouri. I miss the fuel Missouri has lol.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I had a 2006 Dodge Magnum with the 3.5L and I used to go out of my way to put 100% gas in it. Then all the gas stations locally (and most everywhere else now) switched to that 10% Ethanol blend sh**. Then some months later, I started having engine problems like hesitation and near stalling. The dealer said there was carbon and junk in the intake and such and cleaned it out. Ran much better after that.

·
Registered
364 Posts
thought i'd just post this:

Along the lines of what iminhell said, if your vehicle is flex fuel capable, it will have a yellow bezel placed over the fuel fill inlet. It was also marked in the vehicle description and fuel economy information boxes on the window sticker if you still have it. Flexible Fuel Vehicles will also have an E85 ethanol label on the fuel filler door.

If that doesn't help, feel free to send me a message with your VIN and I can check and see if it is flex fuel capable.

~Natasha
[cheers]

·
Registered
291 Posts
Ethanol will get 5 to 6 MPG less per gallon when used in any vehicle. In older engines with carburetion (not fuel injected), it is very hard on them. I do not run ethanol in my weed eater, motorcycle, boat motor, lawn mower of chain saw ect.

It is a rip off. The use of corn for making ethanol drives up the cost of all food starting with food stocks for animals. We would do so much better going back to 100% gasoline in the US it would save a ton of money!!

In my area, we can only buy ethanol-free from Marathon and Pure.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Ethanol is forced on us as the cheapest oxygenate to improve emmisions and air quality. I'm an engineer and I never understood how burning more fuel creates less emmisions. Must be the bad stuff goes down faster than the gas mileage. Anyway, I think if they banned all the oil smoking worn out junkers and the cheap truckers with the worn out injectors or powerchip overfueled diesels belching black smoke we'd have cleaner air, use less fuel and eat corn instead of using it for fuel.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Plus, with several states having PZEV forced upon them, who needs the crap? Just another fine example of govt. over-stepping its bounds and giving its constituents the proverbial green weenie.

·
Registered
291 Posts
We have a chance to change that at the polls in what, about 18 months. Personally I am tired of bending over too!!

·
Registered
573 Posts
We have a chance to change that at the polls in what, about 18 months. Personally I am tired of bending over too!!
Oh, good, is there going to be a referendum to eliminate lobbyists?

Certainly you weren't thinking one of the two major parties was going to help versus the other.

·
Registered
257 Posts
You'll get less MPG running E85 because it has less energy per unit volume then Gas does. Flex fuel vehicles are equipped with a sensor to determine the mix and type of fuel in the tank so it can provide the required volume into the cylinders. Because of the reduced energy per unit volume in Ethanol vs Gas the fuel system is forced to deliver more fuel per cycle resulting is a faster consumption of fuel.

I'm not a fan of E85, unless you're talking about pure performance. [headbang]

5 - 10 % ethanol fuel can be run in pure gas engines, however because of the reduced energy in ethanol there are effects on power output, a miniscule effect but an effect none the less. On a side note, boosted engines love ethanol!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts