Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I replaced my ford focus 2004 (ZTS) motor mount one months ago cuz that time I heard noise when I accelerate from 0-40 after 40 M/hr it runs very smooth. I took it to Firestone and the diagnosed that Motor Mount need to be replaced.

Now when I hit the brake at low speed like from 30-0 I heard very scary noise of metal to metal form the right front end (Passenger side)

I'm sure it's not pads issue because I just had brake inspection recently and they were ok and also because I just had this problem at low speed with no whistling.

Guys do you think the mount was not installed properly or do you have any other suggestions??

·
Registered
739 Posts
Doesn't sound like a motor mount issue. Did you personally check the brake pads or did someone else?

·
Registered
86 Posts
You haven't said what the noise sounds like. Is it a screeching metal to metal noise or is it a clunking noise? What kind of noise? Motor mounts usually make a clunk and a vibration. For me I have to replace all mine motor mounts still and it does a harsh vibration regardless of speed. Does it make the sound at all when turning or just when braking?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually Firestone them-self did the brake inspection; all thickness's were within the limits. Also I heard this noise from front right end only and sometimes in the middle front

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dear JesseHeartAshley
Only I hit the brake; I think it's metal to metal noise not just Clunking Noise

·
Registered
221 Posts
For me I have to replace all mine motor mounts still and it does a harsh vibration regardless of speed.
I just did my upper transmission mount and passenger side engine mount. Unfortunately, both aftermarket. However, I still noticed some pretty rough vibrations.

New plugs and wires may be due if your still feeling "too much" vibration. Or maybe just a whole tune up while your at. With an older car like this (over 10 years old) I suppose that it's normal to feel some harshness from the engine, but when mounts are newer, you should only be feeling so much vibration in the steering wheel or your seat.

I just replaced my DPFE sensor, and it helped a lot with the shaking at idle, low speeds, and high speeds. Cleaned up the way the car shifts even! Make sure to check all compression lines and fittings are in place as well. Happy driving! [werd]

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Sorry guy, no description = no answers.

"metal to metal noise" could be almost anything, clink - clank - clunk - screech - grind - squeal.

Dictionary would run out of terms...

·
Registered
739 Posts
Upload a video to YouTube perhaps and we can get a better idea of what you're hearing.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
I would pull the tire and give the brakes another look.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
90% guess would be brakes, and prob. an inner pad that looked OK at the top.

Hoped for some feedback like Jesseheartashley was asking for to confirm, then I could send this to the brakes/suspension/chassis section for more help.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Dear JesseHeartAshley
Only I hit the brake; I think it's metal to metal noise not just Clunking Noise
Any further noises or insight on this? I just had my front CV half shaft replaced as well. My mechanic for some reason had missed putting the brake bracket (or whatever the metal line around the caliper is) back in place properly.

Was making all kinds of brake chatter. Any response? Or did you fix the issue already?

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I'm thinking OP has that mysterious metal to metal grinding sound that brakes make when there is no meat left on the pads but...... It isn't the pads because he will most likely find there is plenty of material left. A few of us have had the same problem, myself included. Have wished the problem away only to realize it still exists.

Careful on what others may suggest to replace, in the end I'm leaning toward the booster but haven't changed it yet.

It's not the pads.
It probably won't be the caliper,
Or the slider pins,
Or bad/warped rotor,
Or a loss of fluid, collapsed brake line/hose......

·
Registered
17,172 Posts
I'm curious as to why you think booster would be the issue. Very little can go wrong there and when it does usually pretty sharply defined symptoms...............

1 - 14 of 14 Posts