Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While driving on Christmas day, my CEL popped on. My car is a 2003 SVT with 38k on the odometer. The car runs perfect, and I think I might have this problem figured out, but I would like anybody else to please chime in.

Symptoms:

1. I noticed that my temperature gauge is only around 1/4, as the needle usually sits around the halfway point.

2. Also, the oil temperature gauge is on completely cold, at the very bottom (it usually works). I noticed both of these even after the car is completely warmed up.

3. The car seems like it is going through a lot of gas, very very fast (since the CEL has been on). We're talking about almost a half of a tank of gas for only 100 miles of highway driving. That's barely 15 mpg, whereas I usually average low to mid 30's on the highway.

Again the car drives just fine, but I have not had the chance to go up to autozone to get my code/codes checked. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
25,627 Posts
Go get the code read, easiest thing to do. Don't sweat it...could be a misfire ( very common)

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
I doubt a misfire would cause the gauges to act up. Sounds like a coolant temperature problem to me. If the thermostat were stuck open, both gauges would read low, the car would run rich, and you would burn more gas.

Check the coolant level, and the coolant temperature with a hand-held meter of some sort. The coolant should read around 200 degrees after warm-up. Another indication of a thermostat problem....the heater won't work very good.

·
Banned
7,946 Posts
you say the car drives just fine. could be an o2 on the way out. i too had a o2 go out and the car drove fine.
but the temperature symptoms dont match a bad o2. id say your thermostat is stuck open and your popping a P0125. (Insufficient Coolant Temperature For Closed Loop Fuel Control) this will keep your car in open loop operation. thus not relying on any of the car's sensors and running off what the ECU thinks is safe.

but, nobody can really tell you where to go until you find out what code(s) is in there.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Who knows what it is, its speculation untill you can actually pull a code from the car. Go to advanced autoparts ( or another place) and have them pull the code.

Then everyone can start to tell you about your problem.

·
I.S.A.I.K.I.
5,413 Posts
^ That's because most of us SVT owners have already experienced this issue. Either it's one or the other with identical symptoms.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, thanks for the replies. P0125 is the code.

"The PCM has determined that the amount of time it took for the coolant temperature to reach an input value consistent with closed loop operation was too excessive."

I just need to know what to buy to fix this issue. New thermostat?

I unhooked the battery for 15 minutes, and it cleared the light for now. The temp gauge is still at 1/4 and the oil temp is still showing cold.

Any input is appreciated...thanks.

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
Sounds like a thermostat to me. Pretty cheap and easy fix.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Sounds like a thermostat to me. Pretty cheap and easy fix.
How hard is it to get the air of this cooling system, im used to supercoupe's and they can be a PITA at times.

On a side note, all this time and I just realized your in columbus, i live in hilliard, we should go cruisin' around sometime!

Sean

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
I doubt a misfire would cause the gauges to act up. Sounds like a coolant temperature problem to me. If the thermostat were stuck open, both gauges would read low, the car would run rich, and you would burn more gas.

Check the coolant level, and the coolant temperature with a hand-held meter of some sort. The coolant should read around 200 degrees after warm-up. Another indication of a thermostat problem....the heater won't work very good.
Agreed.

·
Registered
54 Posts
The same thing happened in my buddys jeep (as far as the symptoms) and it was the thermostat. Cheap and easy fix!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts