Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have an 07 Focus SE 4 door sedan. The car had sat for 4 years. Changed A and B solinoids, filter and trans fluid. Guy at O'Reilly's auto parts told me I need Mercon LV but after checking the net, there seems to be a question about which fluid to use. Mercon V or Mercon LV. I put the LV in but am thinking I need to flush and put Mercon V in instead. Any help will be appreciated.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I just dropped $50 on 7 quarts of LV. All my research I did showed the LV ( low viscosity) is specially formulated for our transmissions. Really was a hard decision since I already had about a gallon of Mercon V on my shelf. I'm even a little hesitant to use the Mercon V as my first 3 quart replacement for what was taken out of the pan. Maybe it's just me being a little over cautious with the transmission. Hell after 100,000 miles I would use any oil I had in an oil change. The 5W20 went out the window and was using 10W30 without any second thoughts. My reasoning is... I change out the oil three or four times a year.... I will only change out the transmission fluid every 5 or 6 years. Why not spend the extra cash on something that is going to have that long a span in my vehicle.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I put Valvoline MaxLife ATF in my trans. Was worried about this fluid since there is a gigantic Mercon LV on the front of the jug. Then I did a Google search on this MaxLife stuff to see how compatible it is with my transmission , 4f27e. It showed that this stuff is compatible with Mercon V ...AND Mercon LV. So I guess I have solved my own problem and question. Here is a link from the page I found at Valvoline......OOPS! Tried to add a link but system won't let me. PM me if you want to read that page. I will respond with a link.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I put Valvoline MaxLife ATF in my trans. Was worried about this fluid since there is a gigantic Mercon LV on the front of the jug. Then I did a Google search on this MaxLife stuff to see how compatible it is with my transmission , 4f27e. It showed that this stuff is compatible with Mercon V ...AND Mercon LV. So I guess I have solved my own problem and question. Here is a link from the page I found at Valvoline......OOPS! Tried to add a link but system won't let me. PM me if you want to read that page. I will respond with a link.
ave13co -- have you had any shifting issues with your 4F27E since switching to maxlife transmission fluid? I'm thinking on going to amsoil signature series (blue cap) for my 2008 Focus.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts