Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"Verox xenon white" HID look bulbs did a fine job of melting both of my headlight connectors on my 06 ZX3. Anyone know where to get replacement wiring or connectors besides Ford.

What do you use as far as HID look that don't destroy the connectors?

·
Banned
7,946 Posts
cheapest will prolly to make your own wiring harness. it isnt hard. but as far as the connectors themselves, junkyard sound like an idea. you may want to try focussalvage.com.

a good way is to use regular bulbs. dont install some off the wall brand bulbs. stick with a name you trust. e.g. silverstar, Hoen. GE also makes a "brighter" bulb. stay away from EBAY when buying light bulbs. i have seen and heard nothing but dissapointments.
hope this helps ya[thumb]

·
Banned
7,946 Posts
btw. HOEN-USA.com is where you can get those hoen bulbs. by far they are the closest thing you will ever get to HID. just ask anyone on here.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I've used Silverstars and PIAA's and didn't really notice much of a difference in either of those. So what was the wattage of those bulbs that melted your connectors? Obviously it had to of been higher than 65 watts.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
noyka sells wire harnesses for the focus.

I did purchase my bulbs off ebay for $15. Dantra 4500K hyper whites. They looked real nice, however, 1 burnt out like 3-4 months later. It was worth it in my opinion... but I aint going to purchase another set, I'd rather save up for new headlamp assemblies.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The bulbs were 9007 12V 100/80W. Must be a bad design. Should be bulbs out there with an even higher rating that burn cool...

·
Registered
148 Posts
What do you mean " an even higher rating that burn cool"? If you mean higher in wattage that doesn't get as hot, that can't happen. The higher the wattage, the higher the temperature of the bulbs.

·
Registered
190 Posts
most auto part stores have replacement plugs , then if you want to keep runing those bulb you will need a special harness to run them.

·
Retired Fanatic
20,000 Posts
What bulbs did you use (like brand name) and where did you get them? That sucks, sounds like the ebay shit out there unfortunately.

I'd go with Silverstars myself IF I wanted to get that look. Even those only last a short time (year or so MAX) so it's alot of money to get that look. Personally I'd just save up for some new headlights if you truly want that HID look.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just an update on this: I'm still dealing with this after returning to stock bulbs. Anyone considering take note, go with a brand name bulb get and high heat harness without exception. There's a male/female high heat junction harness, no splicing required, if it melts, you still save your harness. Too bad I didn't know they existed before I screwed up mine. Even after my splicing in high heat plugs my drivers side bulb has a mind of its own. Checked the connections, no problems. Seems like any spliced connections generates some degree of heat which causes problems down the line.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts