Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just upgraded my bulbs to Sylvania Ultras. They are nice.....white not yellow. Pulled out the old bulbs and notice they had melted platic that dripped on it. The old bulbs still work fine. Upon further inspection I notice the burn marks at the top of the enclosure just above the bulb. Hope the new bulb does not melt it further. Anyone notice this problem?

·
Banned
4,142 Posts
Its a very common problem. All focus headlights do it due to the cheap reflective material used inside the headlights and not allowing heat to properly escape.

We are forced to live with it.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
I wonder how much that melted plastic has to do with the headlight being on all the time with the ignition. If there was an easy mod to eliminate that "feature" I'd be all for it. If your battery/alternator is weak, having the headlight on in the day-time is stupid.....not to mention if you're only driving a few miles a week, your battery may never get charged properly. Bad deal...

·
Banned
4,142 Posts
It occurs even the in the pre 05 models. Meaning the first gen foci have this same issue and ours are not constantly on.

It has to do with varying amounts of power and heat in the headlights i would assume.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes...my wifes 06 stays on all the time. She does not have the melting problem. I like the lights on all the time......it's a safety thing. It alows folks to notice you. But I understand your point Bluefront. Will reduce your bulbs life if it's on all the time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts