Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,111 Posts
Never even heard of that... What is the difference?

·
Registered
359 Posts
It's a standalone engine management system. I guess the real question is, why?

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,111 Posts
Why would you need to replace the factory ECU?

·
FF Affiliate
31,098 Posts
Again why when you can get full control of the stock ECU with the SCT ProRacer package or get a tune from me with free tune updates as you add more NA mods

Tom

·
Registered
359 Posts
Again why when you can get full control of the stock ECU with the SCT ProRacer package or get a tune from me with free tune updates as you add more NA mods

Tom
^ Best bet

·
Registered
202 Posts
Having installed MS on my 81 vw rabbit and tuning it was "fun" [rolleyes]

That was my best choice for adding modern fuel injection. Why would you want to spend the money, time, effort when you can just buy a tuner, plug it into your OBD2 port and do exactly what you would do with MS and a laptop.

I picked the cheapest simplest route for my MS and I spent more than what Tom charges for a tuner.

Only thing you'll gain is being able to say "I have MS"

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
there are several reasons you might want to megasquirt.
Laptop tuning and monitoring and display.
Open end modification.
The ability to add any displays or gauge screens.
The fun of learning how the system works(education)
Bad OEM ECM
Etc Etc...

Yes if you can do tunes on the OEM and set up a screen to monitor all inputs and outputs you want then there would be no reason to switch.

Depends on the amount of control and amount of "tinkering" you really wanna do.
I will admit I have very limited use of hand tuners. The only one I've used it a Diablo on my mustang, but you still have to have a custom tune sent to you or fiddle with it off line. You have no way to hook a direct display up in the car.

I may be wrong on this since I have no to basic knowlege of hand tuners.

·
RIP 02 SVT 0209
3,944 Posts
Open end modification.
Bad OEM ECM
Etc Etc...

Yes if you can do tunes on the OEM and set up a screen to monitor all inputs and outputs you want then there would be no reason to switch.

I will admit I have very limited use of hand tuners. The only one I've used it a Diablo on my mustang, but you still have to have a custom tune sent to you or fiddle with it off line. You have no way to hook a direct display up in the car.

But its a SPI lol
[slap]

·
FF Affiliate
31,098 Posts
Open end modification.
Bad OEM ECM
Etc Etc...

Yes the diablosport predator will do monitoring and display of all sensors on your Mustang

** SCT will do this
Open end modification.
** Not sure what you mean here
** SCT will do this
** You can do this with SCT as well

Things left out that MS wont do ,
little to no support for the MS on a Focus
no knock sensor
you have to buy and change some sensors to work with the MS

I think for the Focus MS sucks there are better options

Tom

·
Registered
202 Posts
Open end modification.
I'll admit I am a newbie to what can be done with the SCT line up tuners but just looking at the webpage all the above can be achived depending on which programmer you choose. Feel free to correct me anyone

Bad OEM ECM
Not really relevant as you can have a bad MS unit.

Having a setup screen and monitors looks like the hand held ones can offer that too. The only bulky part was the laptop in the passenger seat. ( yes I rejoiced when MSDroid was released [pray])

Don't get me wrong I'm not hating on the idea of adding MS to a car, it just seems to be doing it to such a newer is kinda pointless when you can achieve the same results and not have to go through the conversion part.

I love how far the MS community has come in the past few years. When I started tinkering with it about 10 years ago it was black magic.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Starting from close to nothing will always be attractive to some, and they aren't all going to take the "easier" way of getting experience first on a system where you aren't starting from "scratch" or near to it.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
If you've never done any previous tuning, MS is not for you.

TBH, no matter what version you buy, even the EEC-IV of the mid 80's is more powerful. MS is very limited in what it can do. Basic fuel and spark is about all you'll get. Things like EVAP, EGR, etc are difficult for it. It can do them, but not nearly as well as any stock ECU.

And yes. IIRC Jeff was on MS with his turbo car --> http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84581

·
Registered
281 Posts
If you've never done any previous tuning, MS is not for you.

TBH, no matter what version you buy, even the EEC-IV of the mid 80's is more powerful. MS is very limited in what it can do. Basic fuel and spark is about all you'll get. Things like EVAP, EGR, etc are difficult for it. It can do them, but not nearly as well as any stock ECU.

And yes. IIRC Jeff was on MS with his turbo car --> http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84581
^^^^^^^This [thumb]

If you are upgrading from carburetor to fuel injection, ok go for MS.
But don't remove your OEM ECU to a MS.

The oem ECU controls many things like AC, alternator, dashboard, etc...
You will have some hard work to have these things working fine with a MS.

One thing MS has and I miss with SCT is real time tuning. The SCT tool with real time tuning would be awesome.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts