Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm wondering if there have been any issues listening to media, primarily music, from a USB thumb drive or a USB external hard drive?

I can get a couple hundred GB external for around the same price as a 32GB thumb drive and want other's experiences before making that purchase.

Thanks in advance.
-Strider

I should note that I do have MFT on the car.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Not any more-so than using an iPod Classic (160Gb). I've plugged in an external and it worked perfectly fine (as much as the MFT system *works*, that is lol)

·
Registered
444 Posts
Just note there is a limit to the size you can use. I forget what it is. But don't expect a 1TB drive to work
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
56 Posts
my MFT doesn't recognize my usb devices that I plugged in..I used an ipod, my phone (droid) and a regular mp3 player .. all didn't work..i also tried a SD card to plug in with music on it..also didn't work..these are just my experiences though.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I noticed:
- tracks didn't play in order
- voice commands wouldn't recognize either song title or artist name

Edit: The salesman suggested it was a problem with the mp3 files or how they were stored on the thumb drive. If I had more time, I would burn identical info as the thumb drive onto a CD to see if the system treats the two imputs differently.

·
Registered
444 Posts
within the last 2 days i now have issues with my iPod, usb key working.

I plug them in, the ipod says its connected even shows Ford on it's screen yet you hit USB on the screen and it says no device connected.

My USB which worked fine, now says USB device not supported

This update that is coming to MFT cannot come soon enough.

Car is going to the dealer on Tuesday hopefully they fix the issues

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like a USB external is in my future. Now i'm wondering if the summer heat will cause the hard drive, rather than the MFT, any issues.

·
Registered
48 Posts
no problems so far, i use an 8 gig and a half gig, but i have had some problems in general with mft, it has been a little glitchy, staying on after the key is out and i open the door, not turning up the volume, randomly it does these things

·
Registered
87 Posts
I don't have my car yet, but I'd suggest backing up your drive, reformatting it as a FAT32 drive (if it is NTFS) and trying again.

·
Registered
781 Posts
the thing that will kill it is temperature extremes. don't leave it in the car on a hot summer day or overnight in the winter.

·
Registered
444 Posts
the thing that will kill it is temperature extremes. don't leave it in the car on a hot summer day or overnight in the winter.
extreme cold is bad for drives yes so if you live in an area with very frigid cold weather take the drive out each night.

as for heat, realize these drives can be installed in a computer where internal temperature of them can be very very warm. still advise you not to leave it in your car, but Cold over heat will kill it more.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Lots of misinformation in this thread.

Take a look at this Western Digital data sheet.

Your average hard drive can operate between 0c-60c (32f-140f).

As for storage, non-operating temperatures can be between -40c-70c (-40f-158f).

Keep in mind, plenty of cars come with hard drives built in to store media.

I kept my iPod Classic in the car all year long for years without a problem.

Have you ever heard of putting a failing hard drive in the freezer for a last ditch chance at recovering data? [thumb]

·
Registered
524 Posts
Ah yes, the freezer trick. Then there is the reviving a video card trick with a heat gun or a blow dryer. I would think a hard drive would be much more prone to damage due to shock in a car than anything else but in practice they just keep going without issue.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Ah yes, the freezer trick. Then there is the reviving a video card trick with a heat gun or a blow dryer. I would think a hard drive would be much more prone to damage due to shock in a car than anything else but in practice they just keep going without issue.
Most newer hard drives have motion sensors which will park the read head when sudden movement is detected. It would probably activate when you hit a large bump.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts