Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I wanted to ask if you have experiences with measuring ignition coil. I have a mk1 that it shows a P0301 (misfire) and I wanted to measure the ignition coil to see if this is giving this code. I can see there are 3 wires, and I guess one is for the power and the other two is for primary and secondary.
Does anyone know what value I should see when I measure it with a voltmeter? and what value determines that the coil needs to replaced?

thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
You can measure the low resistance between the center pin & each side pin individually for the primary circuits, and the high resistance between each pair of coil towers (1&4, 2&3) for the secondary sides - but in practice on these that seems to only show a fault when you've got a complete failure. One or more not firing well won't show up with that static test.

An in-line spark gap tester that would only fit between coil & plug wires on these would be the only definitive test for output.

Plugs & Wires good, and no other known problems to cause a misfire in one cyl., coil replacement is usually the next step.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts