Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was on my way home from a stressful weekend at work. I mean really stressful. I got a big fat paycheck and a gorgeous girl gave me her phone number. Yeah life is difficult [rolleyes]. Anyways, I was being tailed by somebody (not unusual in california) and I noticed it was a ford by the headlights. I thought maybe a cop? Nope. So I make a left at a light and went about 60 in a 50 mph speedlimit. Then the guy gets in the other lane and passes me up apparently flooring it. I catch him at the next red light and look over. I couldn't really see in the car but I saw the passenger's hand hanging out the window.

So here is where we race. A nice little stoplight with no people around [:)]. I wasn't sure whether or not to expect a race, so I start going like normal. Then a second or two later I can hear him flooring it so I take off at ~15 mph. I think it was an automatic by the way he (or maybe it was a she) launched. That is how it seemed because autos don't typically seem to go anywhere when you first floor it. I was about 8 feet or so behind their rear bumper when I hit it (the gas pedal that is). The good ol' 2.3 motor didn't let me down and it took off in its toprquey 1st gear as usual. 1st gear got me just a bit behind his rear bumper, then 2nd made us even, then in 3rd I was suprised that I pulled on him pretty good. I let off somewhere between 70 and 80 mph with him maybe 1 - 2 carlenghts behind.

Overall I was a bit dissapointed. I always heard (on this forum) that the mustang v6s are pretty slow and that a zetec with light mods could take them pretty easily. If it was really an automatic with a stock motor and a passenger then I would have expected to pull on him a little harder. It was a pre-05' mustang.

Another interesting "race" I had yesterday while I was riding my CBR. A v6 camaro wanted to play. I was leaving a light going at my usual pace (probably a little less than full throttle speed in my focus, makes it pretty easy on a crotch rocket) then I noticed that the guy was inching up next to me me with his engine wailing. Full throttle at a low rpm (pretty much out of the powerband) got me away from that little annoyance pretty quickly. [}:)]

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
Pre '05 V-6's aren't much of a challenege unless you're up against someone who really knows how to drive and has some moderate mods done under the hood, especially with your numbers. The '99-'04 V-6's only put down something like 160 at the wheels, and they weigh a good half-ton more than a Focus.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts