Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, just wanted to share with you a new kit we have developed for the 2012-15 Focus 2.0L. It uses a high flow filter that is enclosed with a heat shield unlike most of the intake kits out there which attempt to seal off the intake by using the hood. Carbon fiber is superior to plastic and aluminum in thermal conductivity as to keep intake air temperatures at their coolest, most of the kits come with no heat shield or a heat shield made out of metal. Not only does it help make more power, the carbon fiber is genuine carbon fiber not replica vinyl and is aesthetically pleasing.

MDesign Carbon Cold Air Intake for the 2012-15 Ford Focus 2.0L I-4
  • 100% Genuine carbon fiber
  • Enclosed high-flow air filter in order to prevent heat soak
  • No permanent modification necessary, completely reversible to stock
  • Increase in engine sound

Edit: If anyone plans to dyno their vehicle I will provide a kit at a discount in exchange for before and after dynos with the intake installed. Message me for details on this offer.

·
RIP 02 SVT 0209
3,944 Posts
Developed ? Looks like a filter in the stock air box to me

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is a high flow filter that is enclosed with a heat shield unlike most of the intake filters out there for the Focus 2.0. Carbon fiber is superior to plastic and aluminum in thermal conductivity as to keep intake air temperature at their coolest. Not only does it help make more power though carbon fiber is also aesthetically pleasing.

We made 10.4 whp & 16.2 wtq gains over a leading aftermarket intake with the same filter on the 3.5L EcoBoost twin turbo engine. This was on a Mustang dyno which is known to underrate numbers as well. You can check out our Facebook page below for the dyno sheets and there's a link to the YouTube video of the 3.5L.

http://facebook.com/MDesignParts

http://youtu.be/_I_L8lciMsE

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Any plans for a carbon fiber engine cover? We should get a group buy going!
Engine covers are currently custom made to order, you can contact me via Facebook (link in my sig) if you're interested in having one made.

What type of filter is it? Dry or oil?
It is a dry high flow cotton filter similar to what you would see aftermarket. You have the option to keep it dry or oil it lightly upon cleaning it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
just curious if there's going to be a dyno on the focus intake.
We are looking to dyno within the next month or so, if a member is interested in performing a before and after dyno I will offer a discount on the intake kit to them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
This seems intriguing

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Pics of the carbon motor cover?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
There is no carbon fiber motor cover for the Focus done yet, they are custom made to order as the carbon fiber is hand laid. To see what it would look like there is a MKS EcoBoost cover done on our website: http://facebook.com/MDesignparts

·
The ImpoSTer
2,285 Posts
Reminds me of GGR intake.

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
We made 10.4 whp & 16.2 wtq gains over a leading aftermarket intake with the same filter on the 3.5L EcoBoost twin turbo engine.
That's a pretty bold claim for a CAI alone...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That's a pretty bold claim for a CAI alone...
The results are below, it was dyno tested on a clients vehicle on a Mustang dyno which also under reads about 10-15%. Only differences from the before and after is the swap from a Air Raid intake kit to the MDesign Carbon CAI. You can find the video and pics of that intake on the Facebook page. I also am personally running this intake on my MKS EcoBoost.

·
Deutsche Arsche
2,549 Posts
My question is not just to your filter system, but pretty much like every systems out there, where does the cool air come from? It is still scavaging from under the hood, not from a cooler air source.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My question is not just to your filter system, but pretty much like every systems out there, where does the cool air come from? It is still scavaging from under the hood, not from a cooler air source.
For the Focus this is difficult to achieve due to the tight room in the engine bay. If you see the picture below the 3.5L EcoBoost draws 100% of its air from outside of the engine bay and that is the reason for our power gains. In order to design something similar for the Focus the fuse box would need to be relocated and costs would increase. Therefore our intake shields the filter completely except for an inlet that you would see to the right side. Most aftermarket intakes for the Focus also draw the air from the right side of the engine bay though they are not as shielded as our own intake.

Can we see the dyno charts?
There are no dyno charts for the Focus. I updated the first post as well as MDesign is a community oriented company and we would like to include community members as well, I am offering a discount on a kit for anyone who has plans to dyno their vehicle in order to provide before and after results.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.