Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need to find some replacement lug nuts for my spouse's 2010 Focus as keep running into problems with the Ford nuts as they have caps that seem to swell/expand to the point I can't use the correct socket on them.

I have been looking at McGard lug nuts, p/n 64012. McGard states they will work on a 2010 Focus. Anyone had any experience with them? Any issue getting the bulge style?

Any help appreciated...Thx Ian

·
Registered
710 Posts
pretty sure my locks are McGard and they seem to be holding up to salt OK after a year
Make sure what ever you get has a matching hex size to your tire iron

I had to get a Gorilla Wrench for my last car because the nuts were sunk into the rim and nothing but a thin wall chrome socket would fit
Better to know this in the driveway than on the side of the road

BTW your local Napa should be able to supply a cheap chrome nut for about $1 each, they are not capped like the factory ones

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hehe I picked up those cheap chrome nuts at NAPA ($1.24 CAD each) when I switched over to winter tires---had the dealer do the tires while doing other work. Within a month all those cheap chrome nuts are covered in rust, and a few of them the heads are missing, must have fallen off.

Bottom line: you get what you pay for, AND, garages have their impact wrenches set way too high!

I am hoping with the McGard lug nuts that, with me doing the tire swaps, they will last for years without rusting or swelling. $9.99 for a set of 4 is a good price.

Ian

pretty sure my locks are McGard and they seem to be holding up to salt OK after a year
Make sure what ever you get has a matching hex size to your tire iron

I had to get a Gorilla Wrench for my last car because the nuts were sunk into the rim and nothing but a thin wall chrome socket would fit
Better to know this in the driveway than on the side of the road

BTW your local Napa should be able to supply a cheap chrome nut for about $1 each, they are not capped like the factory ones

·
Super Moderator
9,559 Posts
Moved to "Wheels & Tires". I have had several sets of McGard lugnuts on various vehicles. I have a set on my Focus that has been on there since around 2003. I had another set that was on my 99 F150 for 10 years and they still looked good. I currently have a set on my 2010 F150 and my Miata. Both have been holding up over the years without any problems. As you said, you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the response. I figured McGards would last. So my question is whether this model, 64012 'bulge' style will work on the Focus. Have stock wheels for an SE and then use steel rims in the winter.

Moved to "Wheels & Tires". I have had several sets of McGard lugnuts on various vehicles. I have a set on my Focus that has been on there since around 2003. I had another set that was on my 99 F150 for 10 years and they still looked good. I currently have a set on my 2010 F150 and my Miata. Both have been holding up over the years without any problems. As you said, you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Super Moderator
9,559 Posts
McGards have a wide variety of styles offered. I would stick with the cone seat regular kind that they offer. Your lug size is m12x1.5, if that helps any.

Gorilla Nuts work just as well and are similarly priced. Just choose which you think would work best for you.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the help, ordered the McGard regular 64002 lug nuts, will see how they work and maybe do the same for my 2014 Escape.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I can't speak for the McGard lugnuts as I have not used them, but I picked up a set of these http://www.ebay.com/itm/120731726711 off of the eBay, they are solid lugnuts so no caps to lose or rust and are the stock size of M12x1.5 w/ 19mm / 3/4th socket head. The ad says they are made by American Racing so hopefully should last. Now that winter is upon us here in the midwest, will have to see how they hold up.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Need to find some replacement lug nuts for my spouse's 2010 Focus as keep running into problems with the Ford nuts as they have caps that seem to swell/expand to the point I can't use the correct socket on them.

I have been looking at McGard lug nuts, p/n 64012. McGard states they will work on a 2010 Focus. Anyone had any experience with them? Any issue getting the bulge style?

Any help appreciated...Thx Ian

A year ago I found a steal on ebay for a set of 20 lugs. They were the ones you're asking about. They work and fit perfectly. Uses the same 19mm socket. Solid construction w/o the chrome cap bull shit so no swelling and such.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good point. The standard cone lug nuts p/n 64002 need a 13/16" socket, not standard for the 2010 Focus nor my 2014 Escape. Changed the order to the 64012 bulge cone lug, they use 3/4" / 19mm.

Thanks for the heads up!

Ian

I will requote this as it is important and can get over looked [:)]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts