Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so, I'm stuck between the MBRP, and the Magnaflow.

The cost part isn't what's keeping me from ordering one, or the other, it's the sound.

Obviously, they're both stainless steel, and they both don't require modification for installing, so really, they only thing that I'm concerned about is the sound.

My buddy has magnaflow on his, and with his cai, it sounds pretty badass.

But, I've been checking out the sound clips on mbrp.com, and it's not sounding all that bad. Granted, those 'focus's' aren't stock, but still.

Anyone have sound clips of either or?

Thanks

·
Registered
743 Posts
when your race header come, its going to change everything

·
Boost?
2,378 Posts
with a race header the magnaflow is loud and sounds terrible, the mbrp is also very loud but doesnt sound so bad, id say if you dont want loud get the svt borla, and i say svt because it has an extra resonator.

·
EvenDeathCan'tStopMe
4,894 Posts
Just to throw my two cents in here....

THe sound clips on MBRP.com are what sold me on the MBRP. And if USPS weren't such a bunch of morons, I would have it on my car by now.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm debating on the header...it might be a little bit.

Anyways, the sound clips on mbrp is what's selling me right now

That, and reviews on here

·
RespectMyAuthoritah!
7,105 Posts
I've personally heard the MBRP with a Race Header and 3 Resonators, it sounded like complete crap. It was ungodly loud and incredibly ricey. But the same for Magnaflow when installed with a race header. The Magnaflow gets very raspy and loud.

I'd recommend getting the SVT Versions instead of the regular versions. That extra resonator helps a lot. SVT Borla by far is the best choice. Rumor has it that there's a really really cheap one on E-bay, if it hasn't sold yet. IMO the MBRP is nice if you don't plan on doing a full exhaust, but if you do, be ready for a really LOUD and ricey exhaust [paranoid]

·
2focusedracing
1,799 Posts
header Will make every thing much louder!! i like it though[;)] [}:)] mine's the svt 2 1/2" one with obx race header & cams , here's a video clip for ya......I like the sound[thumb]

·
GreyRice WOoT!
10,786 Posts
go with mbrp best bang for buck muffler you can get, no one regrets it from what ive heard around the site

·
Boost?
2,378 Posts
they dint regret it till they put a header on and the clips on their site are with a stock header, now tripple that volume and uyouve got mbrp with a header.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I went with the Magnaflow. (I just ordered tonight).

Reason being...

1. My buddy has it on his ZX3, and It sounds great with his cai
2. It comes a little quiet from the factory, but you can make it louder with a header, etc.
3. I have just a can on now, so, my exhaust is extremely loud. It sets off car alarms at Wal-Mart.

So, regardless of the mbrp being about $60.00 cheaper, I went with the Magnaflow

I ordered off http://www.jegs.com

My buddy got his in 2 days after ordering

·
OMGVTAK!
60,646 Posts
Well I hope that you don't go with a race header down the road cause I use to have a Magnaflow w/race header and let me tell you it sounded like complete crap.

It does sound good alone though. Congrats on your purchase!

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have a 4-1 large tube header,(no cat),2.5" flex and Magnaflow exhaust system.Up to 3k rpms. it's perfect.After that,it is LOUD!...BUT..I like it and it's staying.Can't wait to hear it wail once I spring for a blower...

·
Registered
468 Posts
I have a FR head w/cat 2 cams pushing 160's whp and w/no cat w/the mbrp before I sold it, and I loved it...only reason I changed over is because I wanted to go bigger.....

I always received compliments about the mbrp and was told on the interstate it was pretty quiet.....I have no complaints about it...

·
Registered
545 Posts
here's a sound clip of mine, not the best sound quality, but i start the car, rev it up to almost 7k twice then slowly rev it up and then let it come back down:

http://www.pitt.edu/~msg7/focus.mp3

i have the MBRP and a steeda SRI

·
EvenDeathCan'tStopMe
4,894 Posts
I'm HOPING to have my MBRP soon.... REALLY REALLY HOPING....

Right, dbluefocus? *elbow elbow nudge nudge*

GREAT soundclip with the MBRP... I cannot wait til I finally get the growl for myself....

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The soundclip sounds alright

It sounds alot like the can I have on my car now. You can somewhat hear my exhaust in the air fuel thread, I posted a clip of my a/f gauge doing its lightshow, and you can hear it.

Anyways, the tracking number says it should be here by July 15. Not bad, considering, I did the ground shipping, and I ordered it last night. They're located in Ohio, and I'm in WI, maybe that's y

1 - 16 of 16 Posts