Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hahah ok who want this mbrp?

i just a got a ticket for it. late last night. $71 or fix-it. im selling it now hahah

also my friend was pulled over by the same guy a hour later.

i was driving home around 12 last night. when i saw a guy pulled over. so i drove by, stoped at the light. wheni noticed the cop jumped over 4 lines 2 get behind me. i thought "shit". so i started to go slowly when 1\2 way in the turn, he hit the lights. so i pulled over in the wal-mart. walks up 2 me and says " u have a load exhaust, can u hit the paddle for me?" i hit so it want to like 500 rpms.
cop: u have a aftermarket exhaust?
me: it is 50 state legal thou?
cop: doesnt matter it depends on the cop.
me: i dont want to be jerk. what about ALL the harleys?... at my house, sit there and write a ticket to the bikers everyday.
cop: yeah, they should get a ticket, also the ninja's bike, honda's, and the big rock trucks.
me: lol but i'm trying to get rid of this for another exhaust.
cop: i'll brb
me thinking: there are drug dealer's blocks where i was. y is he bothering me.
cop: this is a fix-it ticket or $71 ticket. just have a cop listen it ur car so he can sign it off.
me: ok, thank you

so i was thining as i was in my bed, "it depends on a cop to tell if it is loud or not". how can that be a law?[confused] i dont get that. i was mad about this. [:(!]

oo on my friend he got off cause he had a turbo, and a turbo exhaust. that sucks, but just my luck. i have a bad week anyway[?|]

·
Registered
970 Posts
if ur givin it away, i'll take it :p

i'd just take it in and see what they say...all the stuff on your car is 50 state legal, so there is nothing that they can say about it.

some things are at the cop's discretion, but in the end, it's a judge who tries your case, not the cop...he's the plantiff, you are the defendant

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
That will depend greatly on the local ordinance for noise after certian hours. That has to be considered. It may be legal, most of the time. Most citys has noise laws after like 11:00pm, you should check that.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i knew there a law about the loud exhuastes. but come on i was going home. i wasnt driving it hard. it is just a stupid ticket

·
Registered
758 Posts
most states have a law where the exhaust can be a certain decible (sp?) of loudness before its considered unorderly. Just check out the local laws, if all else fails just nicely ask a random cop to sign off saying you got it taken off, lol...

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i did ask about the db meter. no i depends on the cop. i was thinking that cant be right cause everyone consider things differently, if it is not stated

·
Registered
565 Posts
at least the cop was chill enough to let you fix it and get the ticket torn up. some cops around here (Virginia) wont even extend that courtesy.

my friend got pulled over by a cop once while he was driving my old focus (w/ race header and flexpipe) and my friend told the officer i had a "tuned" exhaust. he eventually let us go. most times it is up to the discretion of the cop.

the law in VA is that any vehicle w/ a "modified" exhaust can get a ticket. meaning, even if a Harley is ungodly loud, he cant/wont get a ticket b/c the exhaust is still STOCK.

·
Registered
381 Posts
ill trade you exhausts, mine is a Thermal Flex_back with a resonator, center muffler, and tip.
It has a silencer that can be placed in the 4" tip that quites things way down, but without it....probably as loud as your system or louder. The thing is, its a little higher toned then what Im used to, but it still sounds good.

Im just looking for lower tone if thats what mbrp offers.
You running an offroad pipe?

I can take pix of my exhaust system, I just put it on two days ago.

[email protected]

e_mail meh, sux about ticket, ive already driven by half adozen cops without my silencer in, I just had to rev below 2,500 or above 3,000 and im cool

·
Registered
113 Posts
That is a rediculous ticket and it was in the cops opinion that my exhaust was too loud. HE even asked me if I though it was too loud. I said no i dont think it's too loud. I have a cat-less downpipe going into a Tanabe Racing Medalion cat-back. It is no louder than a stock F250 Power Stroke Diesel truck. But he said he heard me idling from about 100 yards away over 2 other vehicles. Bull shit. Tickets like that won't hold up in court. Just put on the the stock cat-back then after it's signed for put the MBRP back on.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
There is a specific Db limit, just like there is a specific amount of tint that is legal, and they have to actually test for both to make the ticket stick.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Some cops are dicks but there are noise ordinance's(sp?) that they go by, some give you tickets for it some don't, most of the time they don't unless people are complaining about something. You happened to run into a dick sorry to hear if you aren't attached to it sell it and there you go.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
find out what the laws are, and if they are anything equal to or greater than 92 dB go challenge the ticket. The law has nothing to do with whether or not the cop thinks your loud... it will have a distinct dB limit that cannot be crossed. Even states like CA will accept MBRP as their dB limits are above the MBRP max decibel rating. What that cop told you is BS.

·
Registered
124 Posts
yeah, the cop was definitately pulling your chain, the legal limit almost everywhere is 103 db, but it has to be measured by an instrument to get a ticket, i would take the ticket in to the chief of police and file an official complaint.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
It's not like cops really care about your rights when they pull you over. They'll lie straight to your face about your rights because they know that 95% of people will just accept that, pay the ticket, and never find out what their rights really are.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Sorry to hear about your ticket. If your serious about selling it, let me know ..... I might be interested in it.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Carrera26 said:
It's not like cops really care about your rights when they pull you over. They'll lie straight to your face about your rights because they know that 95% of people will just accept that, pay the ticket, and never find out what their rights really are.
def true. eventhough i want to be in law enforcement, dont ever trust a cop, and dont ever tell a cop more than he needs to know. just answer his questions yes or no. cops will lie to your face just to get you to admit something.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I love cops when they enforce laws that protect me... like stopping street racing or punishing drunk drivers real hard. But wasting people's time and money on "loud" exhausts is stupid. Especially in SE Michigan, where everybody and his brother either has a Harley or a loud-ass muscle car.

·
Registered
45 Posts
are you just getting rid of it cause you dont like it? or is that really the reason, cause i heard its way to loud.... and i just bought one..... so i hope thats not way... cause im worried its going to sound like *****.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I talked to a cop about some of the stupid things people do to their cars: uber subwuffers, p15585R14s on an LTD, lift kits, fart cans, dumb arse 10 profile tires on wheels that stick out the side, shortened springs etc. The cop said: "Probable cause": meaning that if he WANTS to pull you over, he CAN pull you over because of the aformentioned reason. Specific to our SVTFs, they can nail us for our headlights (HIDs), "loud" exhaust, noisy stereo, "non-standard" wheels & tires, or even our attitude. If you want to be invisible, hop up your camry or taurus. Beyond that, stay away from dark, drive sane, during rush hour and don't let the cops use "probable cause" for pulling you over and nailing you.

This coming from a someone (me!) who has never been pulled over in a car; weird.

·
Registered
219 Posts
H&Rzx3 said:
the law in VA is that any vehicle w/ a "modified" exhaust can get a ticket. meaning, even if a Harley is ungodly loud, he cant/wont get a ticket b/c the exhaust is still STOCK.
The exhaust on most harleys don't actually come form the factory that way!!

These pipes are installed at the dealerships, I had a friend that worked at a local
harley shop told me they changed the exhausts on the new bikes as they came in
to give them the "harley" sound. My supervisor has a harley that is as quiet as most
cars!!! (yes it is a harley)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts