Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've had a gen 1 MBRP exhaust system for 2 years that hasn't caused me any problems to date. I ran the stock header and cat on it for one year, then switched to a race header last summer, and now have switched back to the stock header and cat as the race header got damaged. After re-installing my stock header and cat, I noticed that once the exhaust system gets real warm it will rattle off the driver side rear control arm. It does this intermitently at idle, happens any time I go over some significant bumps, and will do it when shifting between first to second and second to third. I never had this problem with the stock setup before. Only other mod in the area is the SVT suspension kit, but I wouldn't think lowering the vehicle half an inch would cause the contact.

Anyone else run into this issue? Any recommendations as to fixes? Also, does MBRP even make the system anymore? I can't find it on their website.

·
Retired Fanatic
20,000 Posts
I had this happen, but with the stock header (basically stock exhaust and the MBRP) and most always, the reason is the alignment of the system. I messed with it for a while and couldn't get the 'rattle' out and I know exactly what rattle your talking about.

Anyway, I took it in to an exhaust shop after getting pissed off with it and they got it aligned enough to get rid of the rattle. I am lowered 1.5" and had this happen and also don't have any rattles anymore so I'm going to bet it's an alignment issue as for the piping.

·
EvenDeathCan'tStopMe
4,894 Posts
MBRP Makes it... its kind of 'hidden' on the websit.. go to MBRP.com, and then on the home page, on the lft side, in the middle, you will see the words 'Ford Focus'. They are kinda small, compared to the rest of the site. But click on them, and then you will get the Focus Page.

or.. here's the direct link: http://www.mbrp.com/?focus

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
S2 said:
Anyway, I took it in to an exhaust shop after getting pissed off with it and they got it aligned enough to get rid of the rattle.
I know it will be in Canadian dollars, but how much did you pay the shop to fix the alignment. I plan on playing with it later this week, but I can go to the shop this weekend if I can't get it fixed myself. How frustrating.

·
Retired Fanatic
20,000 Posts
They actually did it for free for me..... no cost at all, and get this, I've never been to that shop before and didn't know anyone there. It was a OK Tire, Muffler and Brake, similar to a Midas type place.

·
Retired Fanatic
20,000 Posts
They actually did it for free for me..... no cost at all, and get this, I've never been to that shop before and didn't know anyone there. It was a OK Tire, Muffler and Brake, similar to a Midas type place.

·
Retired Fanatic
20,000 Posts

·
Retired Fanatic
20,000 Posts

·
Retired Fanatic
20,000 Posts

·
EvenDeathCan'tStopMe
4,894 Posts
Hahahahaha.

Quintuple Post Ownage... brought to you by the fine country of Canuckistan.

I am sick of the DB problem too, Chad.

·
Retired Fanatic
20,000 Posts
I was thinking about that 'rattle' I was getting and yeah, it was ONLY when it was heated up also. They didn't have to add any 'piping' in or anything, I do beleive they heated up an area though to adjust it.

I was also having an issue with the exhaust tip not coming out of the back of the car straight (seems like a common issue with MBRP and other catbacks) so I thought that had to do with it also. When they fixed it, the tip was straight out also so that may be an issue also. I checked the clearance the other day (when getting an oil change at the dealership) and the exhaust is still 'very close' to hitting so I'm sure it's just a very tight fit, that and being larger diameter then the stock setup also.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I had the same problem and went to midas and they just heated up the hangers and tweaked the exahust so it would clear not matter what.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Chad is Max Headroom with all of those posts.... LONG LIVE MAX! Do you get five post added to your total for that? Thanks for all of the help. I will see if there are any obvious issues like the system hanging off one of the rubber mounts, and then take it in to the shop if there is nothing obvious.

·
EvenDeathCan'tStopMe
4,894 Posts
^^^^

hahahahaha.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts