Focus Fanatics Forum banner

61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Grats on completion. Might want to research a local turbo rebuild shop. It's really not that expensive.
The K04 turbo I have is essentially a throw away unit. I can buy a brand new one for just a little more. The smoke in the exhaust is actually because the turbo is getting too much oil pressure. I have a restrictor on the way.

I had to reconfigure some of the piping between my intercooler and my MAF sensor. I had a steep 90* bend just before the MAF housing, and it was causing some really erratic MAF readings. I have that all straightened out now, and it runs better. Just awaiting a new tune file from Tom, then I should be able to take it around the block!

The turbo whistle sound on this open downpipe makes me giggle like a schoolgirl... Hopefully that won't go away much once I get it over to the exhaust shop.

I'll post videos later when I have access to my other computer!

[cheers]

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Okay guys, I have about 100 miles on the car since the install. I have a new tune to get me off the base tune, so we'll see how it runs with that. I haven't driven it much because the base tune runs really rich and the gas mileage sucks because of that.

Let me know if you guys want videos! [cheers]

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Looks like the Focus MIGHT have a blown head gasket... Have to do some more trouble shooting to see if that's the actual culprit of the white exhaust smoke. It has done this before (when the turbo was on) and I just decided it was because the turbo is used and "blowing out the cobwebs" if you know what I mean. It went away for a while, but now it's back...

Not sure what will happen if this ends up turning into a motor tear down.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
As you know its not going to fix its self.
Funny thing is, When I originally installed the turbo, it had a white smoke issue... and it went away. I don't know. Looking into a cheap beater in the mean time since I've been borrowing a spare car.

·
3rd Time's the Charm
1,943 Posts
Did you utilize the water cooling portion of the center section? are you sure you plumbed it correctly? Is it putting water into the oil galley perhaps and leaking past those seals into the airflow stream (intake/exhaust)?

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Did you utilize the water cooling portion of the center section? are you sure you plumbed it correctly? Is it putting water into the oil galley perhaps and leaking past those seals into the airflow stream (intake/exhaust)?
I opted to not use the water cooling feature for temporary simplicity (planned on including it later)

After searching around on youtube and remembering that this is a common thing on cat-less Speed3's Ive come to the conclusion that my 121k OEM junkyard $50 turbo has just bitten the dust. EXACT same type of smoke from the exhaust.

This means I'll be returning the car to it's NA trim until I can afford a GOOD replacement from somewhere like BNR Performance or CorkSport. (about a thousand either way you look at it)

I bought the junkyard turbo for mach up anyway, so I'm not concerned about it. I didn't plan on taking this build this far so soon, so it's inevitable I have to take steps back.

I'm going to pull an all nighter after work and take this back to stock and see if it remedies. I tried everything short of a compression test to check for a blown head gasket. Cylinders weren't squeaky clean which would be evidence of steam in the cylinders. Plugs were still covered in soot from running 10:1 AFR at idle [hihi]

I'll let you guys know what comes of this! [cheers]

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
And the verdict is in....

The turbo was SPEWING oil into the exhaust. Everything was coated and when I unhooked the Downpipe from the exhaust it was dripping....

Turbo is off, and the car is back to stock. I will probably get a NEW turbo when I can afford one.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Okay guys, I'm reviving this thread.

This is my build thread, but due to the recent security breach I was locked out of my old account which was linked to an email that got hacked as well. So here I am with a new account.

The build is now dead until further notice because the next couple years of school are going to kill me financially. I actually have to borrow money this year.

On the bright side, the focus is getting a much needed suspension overhaul (front end sounds like it's going to fall off the car- blown struts) It's getting the following new parts:

front control arms
Eibach 22mm front sway
Steeda competition 28.6mm rear sway
reinforced rear control arms
new Eibach dampers to replace my dead KYB AGX struts (they didn't like the Sportline springs)
I may end up getting new strut mounts and front sway bar end links too.

I have most of these parts waiting to be installed.

Turns out my front driver's control arm is bent slightly and that is putting enough stress on the front sway that it has permanently warped and is placing excessive load on the drivers side end link, which is probably shot. I've already replaced that endlink once when it was visibly bent. Used the "moog problem solver" grease able type.

anyway, I feel bad for having to kill this thread. Just wanted to inform everyone of what is next for the car. Unfortunately finances are keeping me from pursuing the turbo build any further.

[cheers]

·
Registered
44 Posts
You should contact the admins. Known Security breach all passwords were changed! They can help you out.
Thanks Tundrafoci!

Will they still be able to help if I can't get into my old email? Maybe there's a way to change the email address on file? Who should I contact? I'm not familiar with who the admins are... Do I PM them?

Thanks [cheers]

·
Super Moderator
8,853 Posts
Zetec don is an admin

Sent from a man reunited with his focus

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hey everyone!

This was originally my build thread three years ago. I've been forced to create a new account as I no longer have access to the old email the previous account was under. A lot has changed in three years, but its sad to say that my focus is largely the same car still. I have since added a Fiesta ST to my garage though! And since the ST is the new daily driver, it's time to get back into the turbo build on the Focus!

I plan on revamping the old turbo kit, with parts sourced from a mazdaspeed 3 just like originally planned. Later on I may end up doing an actual "MAZDASPEED Conversion" like the original title stated. I've been researching the components, and the rear suspension on the speed 3 is the same, so all that will bolt right up, and it has huge discs. The front may not be quite as straight forward, but the subframes look largely the same dimensions, so it may be a direct swap. If I'm able to find a cheap speed 3 I am willing to test this theory! If the subframe fits, I'll get a donor car and swap everything over. Essentially it would end up a mazdaspeed 3 in a focus body, and lose about 700lbs!

Anyway, just wanted to let you guys know I'll be reviving this build! I have a few other projects going on at the moment, so I'll get to this one as I can. I'll post up some pictures later.

[cheers]

·
Registered
44 Posts
Bringing the Project back!

Alright, heres the pictures I promised!

So the Focus was involved in a little fender bender a few months back... I got it back together and up and running though! The damage doesn't look too bad here, but...

Yeah, It got the crash bar pretty good... Took out the ac condenser and the radiator. I was lucky it didn't get the intake manifold! Missed it by a few millimeters.

So I hooked the front of the focus to my jeep and gave it a big pull to straighten the crash bar so I could get the old broken junk out.

I got everything straightened up and ordered new parts. Here she sits mostly assembled.

Then I took her for a test run, and everything is great! Still drives straight as an arrow. The stock fiesta st wheels look pretty nice too.

And speaking of the fiesta, here is the new daily! Let the focus build begin! [wiggle]

And last but not least, Here she sits now! I've driven her to work a few times the last few days. Time to go turbo, and I have a few other fun things in mind!

[cheers]

·
Registered
44 Posts
Alright, the turbocharger for build version 2.0 should be here today! I placed an order for a downpipe today, and expect that early next week. The project is getting a slight hold because the battery in the car died unexpectedly, so I need to get that replaced. Stay tuned for boost coming soon!

61 - 77 of 77 Posts