Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Just got my aluminum valve cover in from a donor car in New York. I'll put some pics up later of it. I've got it wire brushed now, and the question is... What color should I paint it?!?!

I was thinking of the purple color that massive uses, but that will ruin my sleeper look. Maybe just silver/aluminum colored. Or an iridescent silver? Black would just be boring. I want a cool color, but nothing super loud.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I'm thinking maybe that "hammered" paint color. The kind that looks like hammered brass, but do it in silver.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
I'd go for the shiny aluminum look. I would say wrinkle red but you didn't want something loud.

·
br/o/stang
5,565 Posts
Look up silver vein powder coat. That'd be neat with or without a topcoat

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Look up silver vein powder coat. That'd be neat with or without a topcoat
This is super similar to the hammered silver color.

I'm going to prime it in flat black tomorrow. If I like the look of that well enough I may leave it. I don't want bare aluminum for corrosion reasons... I like a clean looking engine bay, and corrosion on my 99% rust free car is not okay [giddy]

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
powder coat it, its like 75$
I like to think I'm fairly handy with a rattle can, and at $10/can for high temp engine enamel... Hard to beat.

I primed it flat black and it looked too boring. Went over with a gloss silver/aluminum and it's still wet. I like the clean look of the silver. We'll see how it looks when it dries as that can change a color. If I like it I'll do a few more coats.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
So I'm satisfied with the silver/aluminum color I went with on the valve cover.

Next question... I found an 05 ST with 175K on it for just $2K. Is it worth my time to consider that car for the project? I do have another 2.0 sitting in the garage if something catastrophic happens to that, but I'm worried about the gearbox. Clutch will probably get replaced, so no worries there. Anything to look out for in these high mileage Foci? My daily is about to roll up 50K and it's an 05, so I'm not familiar with high mileage woes.

[cheers]

·
Lurking...
2,180 Posts
STs are GREAT! Always depends whats wrong with it. If the motor hasn't been run low on oil it should be fine. Trans otherwise should be soild. it is a MTX-75 after all. I love all that low end. Honestly as a project that would be great

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
STs are GREAT! Always depends whats wrong with it. If the motor hasn't been run low on oil it should be fine. Trans otherwise should be soild. it is a MTX-75 after all. I love all that low end. Honestly as a project that would be great
I'm thinking it will be the car too. Interior looks like it was a smoker's car, but that will just take some cleaning and leave it with the windows open.

One thing I haven't mentioned about this project is that I plan on taking it on a 4000 mile road trip this summer if it's done. Houston to Denver, to LA, to Phoenix and back to Houston. Plus it will get romped on when I get to each of those cities. Especially LA. And I need to get home in it.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Small Update!

I'm sticking with the silver/aluminum look on the valve cover. Looks fresh but OEM enough to pass. I'm going to have to invest a fair amount in an adjustable wastegate for the turbo (stock 15psi) so I can run lower at first. Minor setback.

Major setback: my daily needs a new driver's LCA and a few other suspension goodies. So that is going to be a financial and time drain. Suspension is clunking badly and arm is bent enough to show up on an alignment machine. Replacing almost everything up front.

Now back to the task at hand... Still waiting on tax refund, but it's not looking promising. So if it's less than I'm anticipating, I'll just "MAZDASPEED" the daily! [cheers]

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Update:

Just ordered a Steeda competition rear sway bar. I hope it's as aggressive as everyone says! Sometime next week I'll be ordering an Eibach front sway, new control arms to replace my slightly bent one, and things I need to fabricate the turbo inlet and filter!

Slowly but surely... [cheers]

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Okay, so my Mazdaspeed 3 down pipe came in the other day. The box was seriously mangled, but the part itself was fine. I'm thinking it may fit just fine with no modification, but we'll see. the flange may not be the same, and mating the 3" down pipe to my 2" exhaust may be an issue. (I have another 2.5" exhaust, but it's straight pipe) Anyway, I'm just waiting on a few special hose couplers to come in and a few fittings for the oil and coolant for the turbo, as well as an aluminum barb for the oil pan. Next I'll have to order up injectors and an adjustable wastegate actuator since my stock block can't take the 15psi of the factory actuator. After that, it's a tune with Tom, and we'll see what this build is made of. I'll be happy to break 200whp.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
turbo + 2.5" straight pipe would be hilarious. go for it!
I'll probably slap it on once for grins. Should hear the turbo in there like a little jet engine on startup. I'm crossing my fingers on some sweet backfires and maybe some tailpipe flames [hihi]

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
UPDATE:

My adjustable wastegate came in today. Very good quality part but hard to find them with interchangeable springs since the MS3 has an electronic boost controller from the factory.

Anybody have recent experiences with C-F-M? I ordered my rear steeda competition sway bar from them about 3 weeks ago, received a shipping confirmation and would have expected it to be here in Houston by now. I mean, my special 2" to 2.5" 90 degree silicon coupler from china got here first!

Anyway, all that's really left is to get banjo fittings for the turbo coolant an oil, new injectors, tune with Tom and bolt it on! I've got my fingers crossed that the turbo is good and doesn't need a rebuild, but most of these MS3 turbos leak oil out the turbine seal. I'll likely replace it with a "bullet-proofed" version if that's the case.

Anyway, this is getting very close to being finished! It's still going on the daily driver as my tax return was miserably small.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,367 Posts
Has the OP checked out Tri-Point Engineering, They developed the speed3 for Mazda. They also had a turbo kit for the Mazda3's yrs ago, IDK if they still have or offer them any more. The kit on a Mazda3 w/ a mtx was faster then a speed3.

21 - 40 of 77 Posts