Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep, you guessed it, I'm going to "mazdaspeed" my Focus... Essentially, I've sourced some of the OEM turbo stuff from a first gen Mazdaspeed 3 and will be using them for my second turbo build. First build had the turbo fail prematurely and with no money to replace it at the time, I returned NA. Now I'm using OEM parts in hope for more reliability and some sleeper status effect.

Here's the plan: Tax return money should be enough to fund the rest of what I need to get a dedicated car to build so I can still daily my 05 ZX3. Next step is to use the Mazdaspeed 3 manifold and turbo I picked up for a great deal. Some people speculated as to whether or not it would fit, but it fits handsomely given I had relocated a few things on the firewall for my previous turbo setup.

I'm going for an OEM look to promote a sleeper looking car.

This build will be slow as I'm waiting on my tax return and a few more odds and ends to be purchased. I need to get the other car.

Hope this is of interest to some of you guys out there and might spark some DIY'ers into doing their own turbo kit for much cheaper than others. Keep in mind there is still lots of fabrication to be done, so this isn't nearly as easy as the kits you can get out there. I just wanted to pass out information.

I was able to test fit the manifold and turbo on my built engine in my garage, and it fits nicely save for the fact that the mazdaspeed flange to the engine has more bolt holes than the focus head itself. Shouldn't be a big deal. After seeing the setup on the stand, I had to see if it would fit in the car. Since my dad is in Alaska on a business trip for a week, he left his truck with me. With something else to drive, I pulled the exhaust manifold off my car and test fit the manifold and turbo. It fits well, but quite snugly, I'm going to have to move some things to make it more comfortable (heater hoses resting on compressor housing and the like... Just tidy it up to look more stock)

This is as far as I have been able to get so far. I have an aluminum valve cover on the way that I picked up for $65 to replace the plastic one that is cracked on my built motor that's sitting on a stand in the garage. I'll be tossing the built motor at the car after the stock one gives up the ghost or I get tired of low boost [neener]

Sorry I couldn't get pictures up, Photobucket is down for maintenance and whatnot. I'll try to get some up later.

Hope you guys enjoy! [cheers]

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
looking forward to this.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pictures!

Here are some pics from last night's test fit. Photobucket wouldn't work last night so I'm doing them now.

It's a tight fit, but it should work. I'll have to strap down an AC line out of the way just a smidgen, and probably re-route the heater hoses since they rest on the compressor housing of the turbo. Plan is to run a short intake pipe behind the battery and under the fuse box to be hidden from sight [giddy]

First shot is the test fit of the manifold on my built motor. Sorry about the angles and all the crap in the shot, it's tucked away in a corner for now.

^^^ This is the motor that has the cracked valve cover and will get the aluminum one I ordered.

Here's the test fit in my daily driver ZX3... I'll eventually get some heat shields to make it look super OEM.

Alternator clearance for the downpipe. I have ample room in there. The shiny bolt head that's horizontal is the turbo outlet. I'm probably going to be able to use a mazdaspeed downpipe and only have to shorten its overall length.

Here you can see my predicament with the heater hoses. It would work like this as the inlet pipe would go right between the two hoses, but it doesn't look very clean. Also, the blue hoses are my relocated EVAP solenoid.

That's all I have for now! Aluminum valve cover should be here Tuesday or sooner, so that's when I'll update. I don't think there will be many updates until I get the build car.

Also, that manifold is cast iron and ugly with surface rust when you get it... Solution? either VHT flameproof paint for headers, or the high temp rustoleum grill paint. Wire brush the manifold, spray on a few coats (3-4) then bake it in the oven for a little over an hour. I started at 300* for 20 minutes then cranked it up to 450* for the last 40 or so minutes. This process is called curing. It bakes the paint in to the material so when you put it through it's first heat cycle on the car it doesn't burn or melt off. It will make your house reek, so open the windows!

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
WOW! Looks good, so what all have you removed from up on the firewall?
I believe just that evap solenoid, which I relocated under the fuse box. This was done because my last turbo setup was top mount.

I will also have to move the plug location for the O2 sensors, but that's no big deal.

·
Lurking...
2,180 Posts
Are you going to be running a cat? or just a wideband and front 02. I'm super interested in this since you've proven proof of concept. Keep up the good work!!

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are you going to be running a cat? or just a wideband and front 02. I'm super interested in this since you've proven proof of concept. Keep up the good work!!
The Cat will depend on which car I get. I won't be putting a Cat in the downpipe, and probably won't have a rear O2 sensor. I will have front O2 and wideband, so in that case, it WILL look stock-ish. If I don't get the ST I have my heart set on, I will just use the Cat in the stock exhaust and just chop the lunchbox off the end [:)] This will keep noise down, but still let me hear the car enough to enjoy it.

·
Super Moderator
8,853 Posts
Sub

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

·
FF's Night Security
28,767 Posts
Yup, I remember you. I remember before you put any turbo on you brought it a meet in Stafford. I think you said it's got a turbo in it, but in the back hatch area lol

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
I was a little disappointed to see that you're just going to retrofit the OEM Mazdaspeed FI system on a Focus. Its super cool and I wish you the best of luck, but the thread title really had me thinking you were going to actually do a Mazdaspeed conversion on a Focus, which I think would be awesome.

By that I mean, full powerplant, drivetrain, subframe, etc... Basically everything that makes it a Mazdaspeed, just installed on the Focus.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was a little disappointed to see that you're just going to retrofit the OEM Mazdaspeed FI system on a Focus. Its super cool and I wish you the best of luck, but the thread title really had me thinking you were going to actually do a Mazdaspeed conversion on a Focus, which I think would be awesome.

By that I mean, full powerplant, drivetrain, subframe, etc... Basically everything that makes it a Mazdaspeed, just installed on the Focus.
Unfortunately, budget will only allow me to go this far... If all goes well, I'll find a 2005 ST to put this in, then I'll at least be the same displacement! Something that got me thinking is the 6 speed... The 6 speed in the SVT won't work on the Duratec cars I remember hearing, but the mazdaspeed has a variation of the Duratec in it, so maybe the bolt pattern and associated parts are similar enough to make it work with minor headache... Maybe the next thing will be to look into that.

As for subframes and everything, I doubt the under structure is similar enough to fit.

I'll try to modify the title of the thread, I just couldn't think of something better to call it. Maybe "MAZDASPEED" OEM Turbo install on Ford Focus.

·
Super Moderator
8,853 Posts
What you have is fine. I wouldn't sweat it.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
I've wondered about this before... Actually I think an mk2 guy had an entire engine and turbo setup but never went through with installing it. But I think the trans has been done, I know cobb did it to an mk3 too.

Definitely subbed!

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I've wondered about this before... Actually I think an mk2 guy had an entire engine and turbo setup but never went through with installing it. But I think the trans has been done, I know cobb did it to an mk3 too.

Definitely subbed!
I believe the MK3 and the Mazdaspeed have more structural characteristics in common. So I can understand having swapped in a 6 speed. In fact, people argue that the FoSt is basically the same as the Mazdaspeed 3.

Either way, I have one W2 in, and am expecting my second soon. Then I just have to file them. Buying the car is the next step!

1 - 20 of 77 Posts