Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, one of my friends once was telling me about the mazda speed 3 engines being similar in size to the Duratec engine, he might have even said that the engines are similar overall, but to be very honest i dont really remember as it was years ago when we talked about it

all in all, i was wondering if it would be possible to fit one of the 2.3 DISI MZR engines into a focus?

just a thought, and yea i tried searching on the forums and havent found anything on this kind of engine swap, unless i just didnt look hard enough[8]

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yes it would fit into a Focus. But you wont find anyone who has done it. Many times its been brought up about putting the speed 3 engine in a focus but its way to much money and custom fab work.

·
Registered
951 Posts
I think it can, if V8 with 315hp (I saw video Focus MkI rear wheel drive with V8
315 hp -looks so sick- on youtube) can then Inline 4 should too.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I think it can, if V8 with 315hp (I saw video Focus MkI rear wheel drive with V8
315 hp -looks so sick- on youtube) can then Inline 4 should too.
Fabbing a longitudinal V8 and fabbing a transverse I4 are two completely different things. I'd expect that the V8 would actually be an easier (not necessarily cheaper) swap given the resources available.

·
Fins Up!
4,843 Posts
Fabbing a longitudinal V8 and fabbing a transverse I4 are two completely different things. I'd expect that the V8 would actually be an easier (not necessarily cheaper) swap given the resources available.
Hah!

·
NeedsMoarEverything
11,409 Posts
Basically it always comes down to being cheaper to just turbo the motor you have, then try to swap a whole motor...

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
It's essentially the same basic motor, but you'd need an entire front end from a wrecked MS3 since you'd have to not only transfer the motor and wiring harness, but computer as well. That's IF you can find a way to mount it.

It's akin to replacing the Zetec with a Duratec 2.3 or 2.5/3.0. Pain in the Tail.

Start saving now.

·
Wings & Teeth
2,465 Posts
or you could try oing the evo powertrain into it.
it would beast every thing

·
Fear the TurboSnail!
6,623 Posts
The MS3 motor is a Duratec motor, lol.
It is not a duratec, similar yes. The mazda 3 2.0L, 2.3L and Mazda 6 2.3L are duratecs. The mazda speed 3 is a direct port injection unlike the duratec. I do also believe the head is way different. You can bolt up the intake or exhaust from a ms3 to a normal mazda 3 or focus.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It is not a duratec, similar yes. The mazda 3 2.0L, 2.3L and Mazda 6 2.3L are duratecs. The mazda speed 3 is a direct port injection unlike the duratec. I do also believe the head is way different. You can bolt up the intake or exhaust from a ms3 to a normal mazda 3 or focus.

i thought the mazda speed 3 engine was just a beefed up version of the standard mazda 3 2.3l engine? or was i terribly mistaken?

also are the mounting points on the ms3 engine completely different than that of the duratecs mounting points?

·
Registered
680 Posts
There was an article in Car & Driver (I think) where a shop swapped a MS3 engine into a Mazda5. It was an abject nightmare, and they ended up having to keep the MS3 instrument cluster in the Mazda5 - but it wouldn't fit in the dash. So they used the regular 5 cluster as normal, and put the MS3 cluster in the dash so they could keep it plugged into the computer. The ECU wouldn't play nice at all without it.

Too much technology. If a dedicated automotive shop can't even use it gracefully in a car that is basically a big Mazda3, how could you hope to use it in a Ford?

·
Focus Factor
3,617 Posts
I have a MS6 and if I were going to go through all that work I would use the MS6 drivetrain, that way you get awd....but like others have said thats a lot of work and when its all done you still wont make that much more power then what we have seen on here with a zetec or d-tec...Id stick with a V8 swap

·
Registered
994 Posts
Basically it always comes down to being cheaper to just turbo the motor you have, then try to swap a whole motor...
Best route to take...

Or get a SVT, and then turbo. Same shell as MS3, just 2 doors.

It's essentially the same basic motor, but you'd need an entire front end from a wrecked MS3 since you'd have to not only transfer the motor and wiring harness, but computer as well. That's IF you can find a way to mount it.

It's akin to replacing the Zetec with a Duratec 2.3 or 2.5/3.0. Pain in the Tail.

Start saving now.
It's possible, look at HTP. They were about to slap a Duratec into a SVT. But it would be more economical to just turbo a SVT for the addtional Torque factor

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=190209

true, cheap way for any focus owner to get a low cost 2.5" exhaust

i thought the mazda speed 3 engine was just a beefed up version of the standard mazda 3 2.3l engine? or was i terribly mistaken?

also are the mounting points on the ms3 engine completely different than that of the duratecs mounting points?
Same mounting points..

There was an article in Car & Driver (I think) where a shop swapped a MS3 engine into a Mazda5. It was an abject nightmare, and they ended up having to keep the MS3 instrument cluster in the Mazda5 - but it wouldn't fit in the dash. So they used the regular 5 cluster as normal, and put the MS3 cluster in the dash so they could keep it plugged into the computer. The ECU wouldn't play nice at all without it.

Too much technology. If a dedicated automotive shop can't even use it gracefully in a car that is basically a big Mazda3, how could you hope to use it in a Ford?
I was SO DISAPPOINTED when i heard about that!!!! It would of been a sick Mazdaspeed 5

I have a MS6 and if I were going to go through all that work I would use the MS6 drivetrain, that way you get awd....but like others have said thats a lot of work and when its all done you still wont make that much more power then what we have seen on here with a zetec or d-tec...Id stick with a V8 swap

Look up the 4WD MS3, and use that as an example.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts