Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I knew I'd have to make a cut by the P/S tank, but it's a whole lot more than that. I won't know if will fit at all, till I start cutting the thing. For starters, the cover hits the coolant tank, and won't clear the fuel line. And I don't know if I can use the front mount peg. At that spot the fuel pressure sensor might not clear the cover part. The back two pegs might fit. But I'll have to do a bunch of mods before this cover is on there.

I think it'll look good though....the under-side has a fiberglass pad to stop some noise. Anyway stay tuned. Got the weekend to work on it.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I don't care for the look, but good luck.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think it's off a Mazda3 (got it used).....which is basically the same engine as the Duratec. That's why it's a close, but not perfect fit. When installed this should give the Duratec a finished look......rather than the mass of wires and hoses you see when stock.

5,155 Posts
That will look awesome. They really clean up the engine bay. Wish it came like that from Ford.

I'm curious though, do you plan to pull the Mazda symbol and bondo it? And are you gonna paint it?

Did you get the mounting pegs from Mazda as well, or is this a custom fabrication?

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The three mount pegs are also from Mazda. They look to be nylon or some hard plastic with metal threaded inserts on the bottom. They just screw on the 6mm studs that hold the Duratec valve cover on. On the underside of the cover are plastic sections with rubber inserts. The cover should just push down and snap into the mount posts.....if I get it to fit that way.

There would be other ways to mount the cover, but I'm hoping it mounts using the pegs. Fingers crossed......

Don't know about the Mazda emblem. After-all, the Duratec is a Mazda engine, so that emblem doesn't look out of place to me. And it doesn't come off since it's a molded part of the cover. Should be a challenging project......[;)]

·
Registered
972 Posts
I believe that the emblem does come off, once off you can fill in the spot with bondo to make it flush with the rest of the cover and then paint it to your liking, pure sexiness

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I think it's off a Mazda3 (got it used).....which is basically the same engine as the Duratec. That's why it's a close, but not perfect fit. When installed this should give the Duratec a finished look......rather than the mass of wires and hoses you see when stock.
I like to look at all the wires and hoses that the engine bay has to offer. I guess like to look at what makes my car run... But that black and white cover looks great with the rest of the car!!!

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Boosta's setup is nice....gives an entirely new look to the engine bay. I haven't even thought about painting the thing yet. That will be the last step. And yeah the badge is a separate piece. I cannot see the back attachment though, because of the semi-permanently attached fiberglass heat pad, which I want to use.

After I get working on this later today, I may have a few questions. His was the only one of these covers I've ever seen installed. I liked the look of it so much I started looking for one like it.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
^^^^Humm. Looks like he had to make a new bracket to hold the front edge of the cover. And he said he was only going to put it on at shows.... good thing too because the Velcro wouldn't hold for long with the engine heat.

Mine is going to be on all the time, so I'll need a more permanent setup. And that paint-job is nice, but I'm not going that far. Thanks for the link.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Thanks all, ive got a new valve cover in which i am powder coating white or silver or even get it chromed.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It lives.....mounted using the Mazda mounting posts, and nothing else. Maintenance will be easy, because the whole thing just pops off. The tops of the posts are rounded, and there's rubber inserts under the cover, so when popped in, the cover is rubber mounted.

I had to make one long cut by the P/S tank. This clears the PS and the coolant tank, allowing some clearance for engine movement. And there were a few more cuts here and there. At the rear, I had to loosen the fuel line mount bracket...and will re-locate it about 1" toward the driver side (allows free movement of the fuel line).

There are a few minor details to work out, but as you can see, it mounts nice. I didn't cut out the area over the P/S tank cap. It comes right out without removing the cover.

If anybody is interested in the details of the cuts not shown in the photos, I can take more photos. Now I'm wondering about the color...but the black will look ok once it's all cleaned up.

5,155 Posts
Dude, that looks awesome. I say you paint it either a matte black or a nice white. Both would look awesome under your hood (and while you're at it, get an SVT degas cover and paint that the same as your engine cover [;)]).

1 - 20 of 93 Posts