Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody ever swapped the 1st gen Mazda 3 2.3 calipers onto a mk1/1.5 focus? The calipers look very similar and Mazda 3 2.3 essentially uses the SVT brake setup (300mm rotors up front and 280mm rear) but I'm wondering if the calipers/brackets will bolt up to the focus knuckles. Or if the Mazda calipers bolt onto the SVT brackets.

Just curious because it would be much cheaper and easier to find Mazda 3 brakes than SVT's. I'm not looking for maybe's or probably's just someone that has actually tried and tested it.

·
So mote be it
8,861 Posts
Has anybody ever swapped the 1st gen Mazda 3 2.3 calipers onto a mk1/1.5 focus? The calipers look very similar and Mazda 3 2.3 essentially uses the SVT brake setup (300mm rotors up front and 280mm rear) but I'm wondering if the calipers/brackets will bolt up to the focus knuckles. Or if the Mazda calipers bolt onto the SVT brackets.

Just curious because it would be much cheaper and easier to find Mazda 3 brakes than SVT's. I'm not looking for maybe's or probably's just someone that has actually tried and tested it.
Go pick up a semi-loaded caliper with bracket from your local parts store and test fit. You should be able to just unbolt yours from the caliper bracket and or knuckle and see if any combinations work. If it doesnt work, just return for full refund.

Front SVT calipers should be easily to find though, for my '07 i was able to just get the caliper with bracket from Advance Auto... unless supply of them has dwindled. The rear bracket is always the tricky one, i am just going to assume the Mazda will be different. I do have a back up set of SVT rear caliper brackets if anyone is in need

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Update:

So I went to the local junkyard today and picked up some front calipers/brackets from a 2.3 Mazda 3 for about $50 total. I test fitted them today and low and behold the brackets bolt up perfectly! Also the calipers are identical to my 07 st and they bolt up to the mazda brackets so you don't even need the actual caliper (I think the st uses the same calipers as any other model). I looked up the part numbers for the front pads and supposedly they use the same front pads so you dont even need new pads, unless yours are worn.

This means all you'd need is the caliper brackets from a Mazda 3 and focus SVT rotors and you'd have SVT front brakes for the cost of your choice of rotors and $10 each for the brackets (the brackets look a little different though, big deal)

I am going to buy a set of SVT rotors and I'll take a before and after pic of my junkyard Frankenbrakes upgrade hopefully in the next week or so.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So it's confirmed. You can use your stock 05-07 front calipers and pads with 04-09 2.3L Mazda 3 caliper brackets and focus SVT rotors for 300mm brakes up front for super cheap.
Like I said the brackets were $10 each at the junk yard. Here's a little before and after (a little paint also goes a long way)
don't mind the wheel gap in the "stock" pic, front end was jacked up lol

Attachments

·
Registered
858 Posts
So it's confirmed. You can use your stock 05-07 front calipers and pads with 04-09 2.3L Mazda 3 caliper brackets and focus SVT rotors for 300mm brakes up front for super cheap.
Like I said the brackets were $10 each at the junk yard. Here's a little before and after (a little paint also goes a long way)
don't mind the wheel gap in the "stock" pic, front end was jacked up lol
Good job. Thank you!

·
w/ my magic bag
29,375 Posts
Happen to know the pad size differences are? The svt pistons are bigger then the '05+ ones.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Happen to know the pad size differences are? The svt pistons are bigger then the '05+ ones.
I actually had broken front SVT calipers, that's why I tried the mazda brackets on 05+ calipers instead.... I measured the pistons and the SVT pistons are 2" in diameter, the 05-07 ones are 2 1/8". The pads look to be roughly the same size so theoretically the 05+ calipers with Mazda brackets should be better than svt's, although it's possible the SVT has better pad choices, I haven't really looked into that.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,375 Posts
I actually had broken front SVT calipers, that's why I tried the mazda brackets on 05+ calipers instead.... I measured the pistons and the SVT pistons are 2" in diameter, the 05-07 ones are 2 1/8". The pads look to be roughly the same size so theoretically the 05+ calipers with Mazda brackets should be better than svt's, although it's possible the SVT has better pad choices, I haven't really looked into that.
Wow, How'd you break the caliper's? That seems different then what I remember yrs ago, back in '05 for the 1st bbk. Seems like the pads are similar, IIRC the svt pads are a little wider & about the same length. Anyhow thats great you find a way to go w/ a bigger rotor using the same caliper. Kinda similar to using the svt rear brackets for the 10'' to 11'' rotors.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts